Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Contoversial Subjects in CG (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26002)

daffas 25-04-2007 12:55 PM

Contoversial Subjects in CG

Im doing a college research essay, and we have to find a controversial subject in my field that i want to go into. since im wanting to go into CG i have to find a controversial subject, and the only one i can think of is, "Whats better Maya or Max?" is there a better topic i could use? and if possible could you please send me a link?

25-04-2007 01:49 PM

I would go with Maya, because it works on Macs (well, you can run Max under Parallels on a Mac with an Intel, but I don't have one yet :( ).

You could always do Polys vs. NURBS too, but Max vs. Maya sounds better.

Perfecto 25-04-2007 01:54 PM

I can't think of anything better than Maya v/s Max and there's lots of info on the web on the subject. Should make the essay easier to complete.

Other topics:
1. Modeling with polygons v/s nurbs.
2. Paying for Maya or Max (full versions) v/s getting it for free (pirating it). And, using it for commercial purposes. Many people don't think there's anything wrong with pirating, even though it's illegal. Should make for a good debate.

good luck with the essay!

Edit: Sorry Jr. Who, didn't see your post until after mine was updated. Sounds like we were thinking the same thing though.

gster123 25-04-2007 01:55 PM

There were a few images a few years ago that were CG that dipicted "torture" or a tenage girl (it all depended upon how you looked at it and what you thought, was distrubing anywho.

I managed to find the link but some people might find it a bit sick

so EXPLICIT CONTENT WARNING

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=214553

You could say that some computer images might promote violent reactions and argue that point (what with video games getting bashed etc etc)

daffas 25-04-2007 02:23 PM

Quote:

2. Paying for Maya or Max (full versions) v/s getting it for free (pirating it). And, using it for commercial purposes. Many people don't think there's anything wrong with pirating, even though it's illegal. Should make for a good debate.

that sounds really good i should try that one maybe. Ill have to find some good links before i actually get going with it.

i also could try what gster123 said to do about the disturbing images that promote violence.

but i think ill have the most luck on maya vs. max. i think someone posted a video on comparing the two. im not sure if i have that still or not.

thank you for all your help.

gster123 25-04-2007 02:53 PM

Maya vs max isnt controversial in the slightest to me.

You wont get anything out of it other than its up to personal preferenc, and when your looking on other forums etc thats all you'll find out, as well as a lot of flaming, which to me wont make a very interisting read for a report

Perfecto 25-04-2007 03:06 PM

daffas: After reading gster's replies, it made me think about the controversies over the violence in CG entertainment (mainly games). Seems like violence and pirating are always hot topics.

gster: Thanks for the warning about the link you posted, I opted on not viewing it. Didn't want disturbing images floating around in my head.

severinianthony 25-04-2007 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gster123
I managed to find the link but some people might find it a bit sick

so EXPLICIT CONTENT WARNING

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=214553

Sexually explicit, or violently explicit?

gster123 25-04-2007 04:07 PM

There not really explicit, just disturbing (IMHO) I put the warning there if some people were a bit squeemish and I didnt want to offend. One image, in my opinion is of a sexual nature, but its not naked people but just the meaning of the image.

End of the day its up to you if you want to have a look.

publicFunction 25-04-2007 04:17 PM

Well I had a look at these images on Deathfall and really, they are disturbing in their own right, I cant argue the point. But the artist if from japan and they have a totally different view point to life. The reason these images provoke issue is due to the main subject. Its a Japanese Girl Dressed in typical school Uniform. The artist who did these isn't sick, and I think there is a message behind the image, but its open to interpretation....

Hang on isn't that what art is about!!! Yes of course, art has always given controversy and always will. In my opinion the artist is very very talented, I recommend viewing. I would categorise this as extreme Manga.

severinianthony 25-04-2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gster123
There not really explicit, just disturbing (IMHO) I put the warning there if some people were a bit squeemish and I didnt want to offend. One image, in my opinion is of a sexual nature, but its not naked people but just the meaning of the image.

End of the day its up to you if you want to have a look.

Allrighty; thought I'd check before I go clicking any links :D

daffas 25-04-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

You wont get anything out of it other than its up to personal preferenc, and when your looking on other forums etc thats all you'll find out, as well as a lot of flaming, which to me wont make a very interisting read for a report
yea i thought it would be kind of boring, and it would just be alot of listing, what perfecto had suggested i think the violence in CG or pirating will be a little easier.

Weyu 26-04-2007 02:15 AM

Perhaps you could talk about people using 3d to mix with images in attempts to change/darken history.

Or using 3d to humiliate real life characters, there are alot of things out there to debate about. :)

daffas 27-04-2007 06:43 AM

ok my next idea is about video gams vs. movies exapmle: production time, graphically power, entertainment falue, cost.

what do you guys think?

Weyu im not sure if that would get me to the 6 pages that i need im not sure i havent looked any of that up yet.

Perfecto 27-04-2007 07:03 AM

daffas: sounds like a good idea for an essay but it doesn't sound like a controversial subject.