Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Courthouse and a problem. (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2507)

Darkware 04-12-2002 11:47 PM

Courthouse and a problem.

Alright. Here's one thing I'm currently working on. It's a school project that I started yesterday night.

The grass is actually two seperate land masses. I have to have two for animation purposes. In the second image, I have selected both. The main one is in the green selection colour, while the backmost land mass is in white.
----------
When I render the camera, which has an env. map on it, the second land mass never shows up for some reason. (see first image)
----------
I would like to have the second land mass show up, but have tried everything I know to do to get it to show up. I've tried moving it above the Y-axis, thinking that it might have to be above the grid for the env. map to not hide it, moving the env. map back so that the land mass is inbetween the map and the camera, and running through various attribute windows and the render globals window trying to find something I may have clicked to make this happen. Please help.

Other than that, comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome. The third image is merely a close up of the front.

Emo 04-12-2002 11:48 PM

I dont see any images...

Darkware 04-12-2002 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is.....

Darkware 04-12-2002 11:51 PM

lol. Give me some time Emo. You posted 1 minute after I did.

Emo 04-12-2002 11:59 PM

heheh, sorry :D

I thought you ment to attach an image along with your first post and you forgot!

I see now

-Emo

Emo 05-12-2002 12:02 AM

try looking in the Camera attributes. I can't tell you exactly but I think a camera can see only a certain distance and you can set that distance in the attribute editor

-Emo

Darkware 05-12-2002 12:20 AM

Success! It worked! It's called the Far and Near Clip Plane. Knowing what you told me, however, opened another option. To solve this little problem I could also have either moved the plane nearer to the camera since it didn't need to be that far away anyhow, or simply scale down everything by first grouping all objects, then scaling down to about 2/3's the size. (which is what I did) Thanks a lot Emo.

Now I am happy.

Now, I want COMMENTS! and SUGGESTIONS! and COMPLAINTS! (.........and feel free to add a compliment if you like)

Emo 05-12-2002 12:35 AM

um..the courthouse itself looks pretty good, so I would suggest for you to add some decorations around it... trees, bushes, flowers and things like that

Nice job!

-Emo

undseth 05-12-2002 05:52 AM

As a student of architecture I must insist :) that you either reduce the size of your windows or remove the two outer most windows, as it clearly indicate that the brick wall surrounding the house is too thin! :)

edit:
And it looks that the columns are supporting a brick wall, which is strange, as bricks "works" when being under forces of preassure and not well when they are subject to pull-forces (?). It is doable but not pretty I think, try using stone slabs at least between the columns and the brick wall being kept up. :)

MKess007 05-12-2002 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ya you definitly need some trees or bushes or something. I too think the top where the columns meet with the building should be changed to something else. Also may be the top part of the columns shader should be changed. It looks almost like you left the default shader on it.
I'm not sure if the column shape is what you want or not, but you may want to remake them. What I did in this picture is take a NURBS cirlce and just pull in every other vertex. Then duplicate and loft.

iron_tick 06-12-2002 01:19 AM

Try using some light based only on the constructed light system to give it a more realistic effect. ie... the sun outside and the candles inside.

oh,...and add some shadows

Darkware 06-12-2002 02:59 PM

Mkess007 - good eye. That is the default shader. I basically threw some textures on everything simply b/c I stink at modifying UV's and can't create good shaders in hypershade. I planned on redoing the top of the colomns; just hadn't gotten around to it yet. Thanks!

undseth - Good idea. I failed to notice that the brick wall would crumble to pieces in real life. I'll be sure to change that. Also, you think I should delete the windows on the outer edge of the wall? Will do. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the brick looking too thin b/c of their presence, though. I myself think that the lines of bricks traveling all the way around the courthouse inbetween the windows is too thin. Are you talking about that? Thanks!

iron_tick - As of now, it is just the default light. I will deffinently add some lights to it. Thanks a lot!

Emo - Bushes, trees, and flowers will appear soon! I'm having a bit of trouble making a good tree, though. I'm not quite sure what the best way to do it is. Right now, I am working on a polygonal tree made by extruding the faces; a lot like sub-divs - only not.

Recently, I just learned about the env. map that can be created for a nice background sky. What I can't figure out is how to adjust the clouds. I want big, fluffy clouds, but can only conjure up wispy, stright, thin, clouds that cover the whole sky as you can see in the first image.

Thanks for the comments!

BabyDuck 06-12-2002 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Darkware

undseth - Good idea. I failed to notice that the brick wall would crumble to pieces in real life. I'll be sure to change that. Also, you think I should delete the windows on the outer edge of the wall? Will do. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the brick looking too thin b/c of their presence, though. I myself think that the lines of bricks traveling all the way around the courthouse inbetween the windows is too thin. Are you talking about that? Thanks!

what undseth means by wall too thin is this:

inside builings if it is a wall that supports none, it is usually about 5 or 6 inches thick. the support walls are about 9 inches, and the walls on the outside of a house are even thicker, like 12 inches and more about. and the window is usualls not aligned with the wall - look in your room ;) you have to make the wall at least to appear about 20 inches until the window starts - this will give room for the wall and a little so the window is in the room, and not on the edge.

hope that is clear now

iron_tick 07-12-2002 03:06 AM

Im really looking forward to seeing this done. i love architectural work. did i spell that right LOL