Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Best - Lowcost graphics card for Maya (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5421)

nirsul 25-04-2003 03:07 PM

Best - Lowcost graphics card for Maya

Well, not a new issue , I suppose but my question is -

If I had to buy today the best card for Maya with as little money possible - what should it be ?

I have ATI Radeon 8500 but due to at least two issue where it is very buggy - I am considering a future shift to an nVidia card , now I won't be spending as much as I did with ATI -

would a Geforce 3 be working nicely with the image planes ?
Will the Renderview turn white when loosing focus ?

Are there any nVidia -specific bugs ?

and are MX440 cards worthy ?

Nir:confused:

EagleKing 25-04-2003 04:36 PM

I have a Geforce 2 MX 400 and maya works fine.
no bugs . nothing.
and with my 2,2 GHz Pentium 4 is the render fast enough.

Kevin 25-04-2003 04:46 PM

I have a Geforce 2 MX 400 in one of my machines... but you can forget it if you wanna play doom 3 :D

roach105 25-04-2003 04:50 PM

Hey nirsul, what exactly are your issues. I'm using a 9700 pro and don't seem to have any problem. I had a 7500 prior to that and Maya would crash constantly.

nirsul 25-04-2003 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by roach105
what exactly are your issues.
Maya doesn't crash but when I use image planes for tracing - when I pick with the mouse on top of a plane - it either blurs or vanishes. so tracing which is rudimentary in 3D modeling is a very painfull process :-(

another known bug is that if you run a render and you switch to another application or window and return to the render view - you get a white screen until it finishes the rendering.

I was told that these are known bugs

Nir:o

uberstonks 26-04-2003 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by roach105
Hey nirsul, what exactly are your issues. I'm using a 9700 pro and don't seem to have any problem. I had a 7500 prior to that and Maya would crash constantly.
I have a 9700 pro (latest drivers and control panel from Radeon's site) I get the white screen etc and the imageplane problems as mentioned in this thread but that is easily lived with. My main problem is I can't use the sculpt polygon tool. All I get is a giant red arrow with a circle under it, that just repeats itself all over the screen when I move the cursor.
Im using XP pro , Athon 1.8xp processor and 1gig ram ...

What version of drivers are you using in your machine ? and what version of Windows u using please roach?

Pony 26-04-2003 01:06 PM

I'v got a nVidia card, if I open a nother window whill render the render view gose wight untill its done. I also get the wight screen, and blur on image pains when I move or size the view.. but I don't think it gose wierd on me though whill I'm just working over the image though..

jklaroe 26-04-2003 02:52 PM

I can say one thing, the GeForce 4 MX series sucks. They are considered a GeForce 2.5 by most. I would at least have a GeForce 3 or a Ti4200. but that is just me.

Nem 26-04-2003 04:41 PM

i wudnt really recommend ATi cards for 3d work, weird drivers
go with a ti4200, theyre rather cheap atm

mrmacca 26-04-2003 06:01 PM

Nirsul, i believe the issue with the white screen when switching windows or apps during rendering is an XP issue.

Pony 02-05-2003 02:15 AM

I will have to agree with mrmacca, I just changed to win 2000 like 3 weeks ago. And I have not had the problem of the wight image plain or scrambaling since then.. same gf card.

BadMange 02-05-2003 02:58 PM

Regarding your original question about a low-cost graphics card for 3d work, I'd recommend the GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB (4X) card. It performs great in Maya, don't know about games (I use my Playstation2 for that), and I patched the Detonator drivers so it performs like a Quadro4 700XGL, Win2K even detects it as such. Performs much better now, and there is a noticeable performance increase. Check out www.guru3d.com/rivatuner for info on patching any GF card to it's Quadro counterpart. Despite others opinions, the two card families are very similar (ie, GF4 > Q4), save a few disabled transistors on the Q).

I bought a Gainward "Golden Sample" GF4 card, meaning they're certified by the mfr to be overclockable, if you're into that. You didn't state your pricerange, but I bought it for ~$160...

adldesigner 02-05-2003 03:02 PM

If you can afford about 425$ you can go for an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. Very good choice.

Witchy 05-05-2003 07:28 AM

You can avoid the white screen when switching and non minimising box thing with XP by turning on the classic interface- it's a known problem with the XP interface and is covered on the AW website.

Radeons are decent cards and the new 9800 pro has impressive stats but I have never liked their drivers which always take many iterations to run properly, or indeed their tech support. Nvidia are more consistent and you won't see the high end features of that sort of card used properly for a while anyway.

essahc 06-05-2003 06:42 AM

Quote:

Despite others opinions, the two card families are very similar (ie, GF4 > Q4), save a few disabled transistors on the Q).
This is Way true. When I was working in R&D testing at Dell we had only the GF laptops. The gf was imbedded on the mobo so its not like we could just switch cards. But for Quadro Testing we simply closed a jumper on the MB. (This ment that Dell only had to manufacture one kind of board) Again the plug-n-play saw the Quadro.

OOPs I forgot.... I promised not to disclose stuff like that...:banghead: :banghead: