Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Render back round transparent (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24437)

starjsjswars 29-12-2006 06:23 PM

Render back round transparent

hey how do i render my back round transparent?

gster123 29-12-2006 11:16 PM

REnder out an alpha channel, when you put it into a compositing software it will recognise it and remove antthing not in the alpha (of you can use it as a cookie cutter in Photoshop to delete anything not in your scene.)

starjsjswars 30-12-2006 07:07 AM

Yea i knew that i was hoping there was some way to do it in maya like that. TY though.

enhzflep 30-12-2006 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question here, but what do you wanna do with the image after it's rendered?

Are you trying to render an image and then use that in a shader?

If that's the case, just make sure you've got "Alpha Channel (Mask)" checked in your RenderSettings, don't forget to save as a 32bit format. .TGA will work, jpg, bmp, gif won't. Don't know much about the other formats - haven't needed to.:p

This image was produced from scratch in 2mins using nothing other than Maya. (I did use photoshop to crop the screenshot, but you get the idea)I rendered a 512x512 image of 9 red balls, saved as a tga file then applied that file to the color channel of a shader.

Note that if you're using a file with an alpha channel, that the transparency channel is automatically connected too. Though it may be disconnected if desired.
(good for .psd textures that are coming up transparent when not wanted. Much quicker to kill the connection to the alpha channel than to change the image and resave it in photoshop)
Simon

starjsjswars 30-12-2006 09:54 AM

heres somthing i want to do,,, i want to make http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/1949/546lw1.gif the backround of that transparnet in maya. Mabye theres not a way but hey i was just asking if anyone knew

enhzflep 30-12-2006 10:13 AM

Cool, nice saber.

But again, what do you want to do with the finished image?

As in do you want to put it over the top of some other video? Do you want the background not to be black. As I've already shown, maya DOES make the background transparent.

Also, if you key the rotation of the saber at frame 1 (0deg) and again at (say) frame 101(360 deg), by rendering frames 1-100 you will have an animation that loops seamlessly, without the little jump at the end.

I just ask what you want to do with the image next to have a better idea of how to help. That's all.

Simon

starjsjswars 30-12-2006 12:04 PM

I pretty much want the black to be gone and just the saber with the simplymaya backround there.

enhzflep 30-12-2006 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Uh-huh, think I'm with the program now.

In part 4 of the Cartoon Guy tutes, Kurt does a trick where he sets the background colour to be the same as the floor.

So, am I correct in guessing that you'd like to be able to post the images here, without the black border appearing?

If so, just do the following.

1) In the panel that you'll use for rendering, go to View->SelectCamera
2) Open the attribute editor if not already open
3) Scroll down and open up the Environment tab
4) Click the Background Color swatch
5) Change the HLS box to RGB
6) Change the 0 to 1 box to 0 to 255
7) Enter in these values R-237, G-238, B-243 if you'll be posting the image on a (simplymaya color) blue background, or 255, 255, 255 if it's to be on a white background.

Simon.

Here's the result:

enhzflep 30-12-2006 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And again on the blue background.

starjsjswars 30-12-2006 02:14 PM

yeaaa but is there one for transparnet? thanks for all the help btw.

enhzflep 30-12-2006 02:30 PM

Nope. You can't do this on this board. The only formats allowed as uploads or (I'm supposing) links, are .png .jpg .gif .bmp.

None of these formats allow for 32 bit images that include an alpha channel.

So to get a see through background, you've gotta cheat and set the background of your image to either white or blue.

No worries about all the info, as long as I'm not giving you the sh$@s that is;)

S.

NeoStrider 01-01-2007 01:09 AM

um .gif files allow for transparency, dude.

enhzflep 01-01-2007 01:27 AM

:blush:
Thanks pal.

Out of interest, do you know if they always did, or was that implemented at a later date like when they were made animateable? (GIF89a)

The last time I played with them to be honest, was when .pcx files were still all the rage and jpegs were just emerging as a new format.

NeoStrider 01-01-2007 02:10 AM

wasn't sure, so i looked it up... also found that png files also do alpha. so yea.

http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/png-gif

from wiki it seems it's always been there *shrug*

enhzflep 01-01-2007 03:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanx again for that Neo.
Have just been reading how to Create a Transparent Gif in Photoshop and they reckon you should always pick Gif89a to export to, but agree entirely with your assesment of Wiki's information.

Well, at the risk of making a complete fool of myself I've found that PNGs created with Maya when opened with photoshop do indeed show up with a transparent background. Fingers crossed it works okay.

Note to starjsjswars: if this image isn't surrounded by black you can just save as a PNG and it will look fine here on the board.

Never mind my woefull texturing abilities thus far:p