Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Is there a MasterReset switch in maya? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26190)

njon 10-05-2007 03:53 AM

Is there a MasterReset switch in maya?

I guess some settings got messed up and I am getting some artefacts.
Is there a master reset which resets all the tools to deafults?

It would take quite some time to figure out the prob and resetting various tool options manually.

Thanks.

Perfecto 10-05-2007 04:23 AM

Hey njon,
I hope someone knows about a master reset switch because that would be very useful.

Just in case there isn't one, I do know that you can go into preferences and just go down the list reseting each category. However, I'm not sure if resetting all the categories resets everything.

njon 10-05-2007 04:48 AM

Thanks,
will check that.
There must be some script atleast for resetting all.

njon 10-05-2007 06:13 AM

Ok, that render reset thing doesnt have any options I guess, only maya /mr renderer.

So doesnt help .

Perfecto 10-05-2007 09:09 AM

I was reading my help files this evening and ended up coming across something that might be the master reset. I havn't tried it but perhaps you want to.

It says that all settings are saved in a directory called "prefs", everytime you exit out of Maya. If I read it correctly, you can rename that directory (folder I think) to something else. Then the next time you open Maya, Maya will create a new directory. I think everything will be at default settings. Then if you want to go back to your previous settings, rename the previous directory back to "prefs" (or whatever it was). Then when you open Maya, you're previouse settings are restored.

Hope this is the answer you were looking for.

njon 10-05-2007 11:41 AM

Thx Pfto,
will try that!

tweetytunes 10-05-2007 11:07 PM

I can comfurm that everytime my setting get messed up all I do if delete the "prefs" folder under the "maya" folder in "my Documents" aswell as the maya.env (This one time thats was what was wrong) As soon as you restart maya they get replaced with new ones and its just like opening maya up for the first time. It also the file that I backup the most and just recopy over if something else goes wrong save time setting everything up agan.

good luck

njon 11-05-2007 11:04 AM

Thanks tweety.

Why not actually just add a button "reset everytool" in maya, would make things more user friendly.

tweetytunes 11-05-2007 02:08 PM

because thats too simple

spyder99945 13-05-2007 09:41 PM

u can just delete the whole folder if u dont need anything

ctbram 30-05-2007 11:56 PM

If you delete (or move might be safer) everything in the documents and settings>username>My documents/maya/ folder and then start maya it will regenerate everything in the folder and will reset all the preferences back to the default settings.