Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Display & Render problem w/ image map (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28369)

Joel Peterson 03-12-2007 07:50 PM

Display & Render problem w/ image map

I've been having a problem with image maps in my models displaying and rendering strangely for some time now, (probably three years). I'd love it if someone can explain what is happening and even better if I could learn what to do about it.

I am fairly certain that the problem has something to do with my lack of understanding of the correct methods of mapping art onto geometry. In this example I have polygon objects w/ a stainless steel shader loaded and then to achieve graphics on the panel I've placed a poly plane over top of this and mapped the graphics onto that. This usually works well except when I change the camera's focal length to something higher than 50. Then the graphics begin to clip in the preview and then of course in the rendering. If I reset the focal length down to 40 or below and move the camera up closer to the model the graphics render great but then I begin to get perspective distortion.

Thanks for listening,

Joel Peterson

jsprogg 04-12-2007 03:05 AM

sounds like you need to select the camera and adjust the far clipping plane to a larger value, try making it 10000 in the attribute editor.

Joel Peterson 04-12-2007 06:09 AM

Not related to the clipping plane

1 Attachment(s)
When I said clipping I may have confused the issue. It has nothing to do with the near or far clipping plane settings on the camera. I've attached one example to show what I mean. You can see the focal length settings and the result.

Have you ever seen this before?

Thanks,

Joel

Mayaniac 04-12-2007 07:15 AM

Well it looks like your texture planes and your objects are sharing the same 3D world space.

You shouldn't texture planes and lay them on top of a model to create a Logo, or any other label. Just use a layered shader.

Joel Peterson 04-12-2007 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have used layered shaders for this in the past and came to this solution in frustration. It seemed there was always some part of the shader that didn't work correctly and made the material w/ the graphics look different than the one without. When I separated the materials onto different objects that problem was solved and this problem was created.

I've thought that interference between the two objects was likely and if I move them apart then that does eliminate the problem, but also makes the graphics look like they are floating above the panel. HOWEVER, I can also change the focal length of the camera which solves it but limits views I can render. I've attached the same view of the same model w/ only the focal length of the camera adjusted to show what I mean.

Mayaniac 04-12-2007 08:45 PM

Well, i guess this works (at least well enough to get by) but i don't think you should have to go to all the hassle to set up all these planes and mess with the camera setting just to get a half decent image.

How, are you setting up your nodes, With the Layered shader? When ever i set up multi textures on a Layered shader i don't seem to have any of the problems you seem to have, with textures changing, or appearing different.

Well, i hope you get this problem sorted out.

Have fun :beer: