Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Summer Challenge! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26549)

mtmckinley 11-06-2007 09:09 PM

Summer Challenge!

Pirates vs Ninjas!

Yeah it's summer time and it's time to do something fun! And what's more fun than pirates fighting ninjas? The goal of this challenge is to design and create a pirate and/or a ninja! Get creative! Maybe your pirate is inspired by the Pirates of the Caribbean movies or maybe you'll design a ninja that would fit in the PotC fantasy world? Or forget the movies and do something original!

The guidelines:

1) This is a modeling challenge, but presentation is important. If you can texture and pose your character for the final presentation, you'll definitely have a much more appealing final entry!

2) The deadline is September 1st!

3) All work must be done by the artist submitting. You may submit one entry. If you want to make a pirate fighting a ninja though, that can be your entry. But that's the only exception to the multiple entry rule.

4) There's no limit as to what software you can use to create your models and textures.

5) A finals thread will be created toward the end of the challenge. Finals should be posted there, with screens/renders of the final result.

If you have any questions, ask them here. Keep a look out for any addendums or additions to the guidelines as issues are brought up and answered.

For now, signed copies of my books are what I've got for prizes, but if I can think of something cool, I'll definitely offer it up before the end!

THX1138 11-06-2007 09:41 PM

Wow, first post! A pirate/ ninja comp? I really don't know what to think about this one. Can we do a dead pirate, you know a skeleton pirate?

mtmckinley 11-06-2007 09:44 PM

Sure, sounds like fun to me :)

Some Guy 11-06-2007 11:19 PM

Sound like fun.
Full body or bust?

Weyu 11-06-2007 11:31 PM

Are you allowed to do surrounding enviroment or just the pirate/ninja? :)

And just out of curiosity, what does PotC mean?

tweetytunes 12-06-2007 12:34 AM

Potc = Pirates of the Caribbean

12-06-2007 03:30 AM

Good luck guys, I'm going to have to sit out on this one! I'm currently modeling a character, then I'm going to texture him (First character that I've textured!), and then I'm going to take some tutorials on rigging and binding. Also, between next week and August 11th I'm going to be busy. :(

I hope I can enter the next challenge!
:beer:

pbman 12-06-2007 06:36 AM

sounds cool
i will try to have a go at this 1 but will have to wait until 27th june till i start (exams r over and the booze will have warn off by then) doesnt leave m much time but i will try

good luck to all entered

mtmckinley 12-06-2007 06:51 AM

full body or bust is fine, either one.

You don't have to do an environment. Presentation is key though!

Legolas_hv 12-06-2007 06:55 AM

LOL man be sure I'm going for the ninja!
haahhahahaha
This is martial arts!

THX1138 12-06-2007 11:26 AM

Well I don't know. Pirates seem to be "The Thing" right know. I'm hoping the pirates dominate this challenge.

Weyu 12-06-2007 11:43 AM

Oh exciting, I might participate in this challange if I get a nice idea. :)

"Well I don't know. Pirates seem to be "The Thing" right know. I'm hoping the pirates dominate this challenge."

Yeah with the new Pirates of the Caribbean realesed I guess we will see alot of them pirates. :)

THX1138 12-06-2007 11:50 AM

I reccomend you enter Weyu, it will be good practice for you.

Weyu 12-06-2007 11:54 AM

Yarr! (Finally I can use this comment without it feeling misplaced.) :)

Perfecto 12-06-2007 04:26 PM

Any other challenge I would have probably passed it up but this just sounds sooooo exciting, it's hard to say no. I could definitely use practice in modeling a character. I've only tried once and it was nothing to write home about. Not sure what I'll go with yet but I'm kinda leaning toward the ninja.

I'll set aside most of my other projects in order to spend alot of time on this one, I know I'll need it.