Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Underwater animation. (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8336)

fredriksson 09-10-2003 10:37 PM

Underwater animation.

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all, been working a bit on this on and off for a few days.
Part of a short animation project I'm doing (the rest is not under water). C&C is as always welcome.

Zyk0tiK 09-10-2003 11:05 PM

wow! that is great!

i'm guessing you took inspiration from Finding Nemo... with all the particles and all that stuff... looks great though man, fantastic!

fredriksson 09-10-2003 11:14 PM

Finding Nemo was a source of inspiration, and a very funny one too. I should perhaps look at it again from a more technical perspective and get some pointers. :)

Witchy 10-10-2003 12:10 AM

That's very nice, did you animate the camera along a path?

orgeeizm 10-10-2003 12:25 AM

hey its you! :) howww did you make that??? grrr! keep it up, i like it!

[icarus_uk] 10-10-2003 01:09 AM

Id like to see some vegetation and rocks on the seabed as its a bit barren at the moment. I really like those bubbles though.

Zyk0tiK 10-10-2003 01:44 AM

cheah! and give it some light shining in through the top of the water, the water will reflect it around properly right? like, through maya, the surface will effect the light?

fredriksson 10-10-2003 07:21 AM

Witchy: Translation was pathconstrained, rotation was manually keyframed (subject to change, not fully happy with it).

Icarus: As for the seabed being barren, I will add more stuff, possibly some seaweed and stuff, but it will be fairly clean by design.

Zykotik: Youre talking about caustics, and 'god rays'? Maybe I'll add those later, not sure though.

I'm using one of kbrowns nifty MEL-snippets to fade the particles opacity based on distance to camera (plus some stuff I added myself).

fredriksson 10-10-2003 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tweaked the particles, added a few small things, going to put more in and do more work on the ones already there.

Vectorman 10-10-2003 08:38 PM

Okay i've been pretty harsh lately cause no one ever seems to take offense and i see it being much more constructive in the long run so.........

Boring man! I really thought that all the dynamics work really well, the bubbles and the surface of the water and sea floor look great. Even the sub (for the half of it i saw and the half a second i saw it) looked good. But overall i just thought there was going to be something over the next dune. More rocks on the ground, some reef, plants (as mentioned before) would make this scream realism. The quality is there (as always with you) i'm just begging for more.

Now i assume that the reason i was thinking there should be something there is because when you come out of the water there will be, or theres some kind of backstory i'm missing. But theres my crit take it as you will and keep up the AMAZING quality that we LOVE seeing from you.

fredriksson 10-10-2003 08:48 PM

Hehe, I never do take offence, and I can agree that it's a bit boring right now. :)
Animation takes time though, so I'll just keep on doing stuff, working on my concept, and time will tell if it's boring in the end. And yes, the ridge should bring something interesting into view.

Vectorman 10-10-2003 08:58 PM

lol he posted another update while i was typing the essay, er uh reply. Nice i'm liking it particles look a lil better.

fredriksson 13-10-2003 02:00 PM

Update.

Edit. Would have been... but the file size was exceeded by 20k.

ckyuk 13-10-2003 06:28 PM

Once again i love your work, however i think the seabed needs more plant life on it.

Are you planning to add some fish?

fredriksson 13-10-2003 07:09 PM

I have added some plants and rocks, but I can't upload it here since the file is too large (2mb, the limit is 2000000b ~ 1.9 mb).