Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   ChaosTitan - Mecha/robot (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9703)

Silver 06-01-2004 10:07 PM

ChaosTitan - Mecha/robot

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my current project a chaosttian mecha/robot from a board game from Games Workshop.

I will probably need some help in this project so any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Let's start of with some WIP-pics :cool:

The front of the massive foot:

Silver 06-01-2004 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The back of the huuuuge foot ;)

RickStefani 06-01-2004 10:13 PM

Looks good so far but you want to add chamfers to all the corners. Do you have a picture of the completed mech?

Silver 09-01-2004 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I got a reference pic if that is what u mean.

RickStefani 09-01-2004 12:15 AM

That is an awsome reference. Is that a physical model? OK I am going to be a little harsh here. The foot is one of the most important parts of a mech. That mech walks on his toes. You have your foot taking the weight like an elephant. The designs are completely deferent. Look at birds feet. That is the way this mech is. You might want to redo that part. This one should walk like a dinosaur. The toes aim forward for the most part.

Silver 09-01-2004 12:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Time for a update on this project... The red area I'm not too pleased with, will most likley do some re-modeling there in the nearest future.

The next problem is tha area that connects the legs to the "hip-section" (u know the part the connects the legs with the upper body). Well, the ref. model uses some kind of circular rings as hips. Not that it's too hard too model, it's just that it is a bit hard to get a good look at that section.

Here we go:

Silver 09-01-2004 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RickStefani
That is an awsome reference. Is that a physical model? OK I am going to be a little harsh here. The foot is one of the most important parts of a mech. That mech walks on his toes. You have your foot taking the weight like an elephant. The designs are completely deferent. Look at birds feet. That is the way this mech is. You might want to redo that part. This one should walk like a dinosaur. The toes aim forward for the most part.
Yep, u can say it's a physical model, some dude has taken picture of it. I like your ideas, will take that in consideration, and will definitively make some changes to the feets.

Silver 14-01-2004 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, this is indeed very much a WIP-pic, have that in consideration.

Just showing what it might look with 2 legs on some kind of hip-section that isn't even close to be finished.

Ohh did I mention it's a WIP-pic? Ohhh, I did, well anyways here it is...

james_s 15-01-2004 01:18 AM

I think it looks great -- but I agree with Rick's comment about the toes. Looks to me like the first toe section in the reference pick is angled down (and welded in position as in your model). The reference pic indicates something a bit more "springy" at the feet than, say, ED-209...

Nice job so far.

Silver 15-01-2004 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Was a slow day today, probably because I haven't eaten enough :P

Didn't do any modeling, but I manage to do some minor material assignments and apply color to them. Just playing around here...anyways here it is in color

Vampus 16-01-2004 04:39 AM

I'd say this it probably more it's "resting" position. I doubt it would go onto it's toes unless it were moving at a decent pace, ie running.

fredriksson 16-01-2004 05:44 AM

I like it silver. Especially all the tiny details and hydraulics. I'd rather see some more greenish browns like in the ref-pic rather than the reddish brown you got now :). Will you rig it?

Silver 16-01-2004 08:40 AM

Vampus: finally someone who understands me :)

Fredriksson: just wait and see it will even get more details, yeah I don't know why the reddish brown came from, will change it to a more greenish brown. Riging are u crazy ? (heh) I don't know anything about riggin (yet that is).

This weekend I will try to change the feets and maybe and the "leg-protectors" (don't have any better word for them) - the things that are located (in the ref-pic) above the feets n belove the knee

fredriksson 16-01-2004 08:56 PM

I'd imagine it would be similar to rig (except being biped instead of quadraped) to Craigs cyberdog (vip download here) so you could get that series and learn it. I'm looking forward to see how far you take this.

twisteddragon33 17-01-2004 10:25 AM

the leg coverings would prolly be called armor plates.

I really like the detail you have so far and i too would like the toes to be more sringy, and possibly a little larger.