Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Maya shuts down..:( (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9059)

Dragonhawk 22-11-2003 04:10 PM

Maya shuts down..:(

i can start maya but if i make something COMPLEX it shuts down.i've deleted the history on my object but it still shuts down after my object gets more complex.maybe i delete it in a wrong way?or i need more RAM? a better computer or what???I urgently need help because im into that challenge thing...

Pony 23-11-2003 01:11 AM

ok. first how complex are we talking.. could you tell use a poly face count ? or a idea of how complex so fare ? and also knowing how much RAM you have will help. Also what operating system ? and grafix card. All would be helpfull.

dave_baer 24-11-2003 04:53 AM

Yes, please tell us more about your system specs. I'm pretty sure to guess that it has something to do with either your video or your RAM, but without more information it's hard to say exactly.

Dragonhawk 25-11-2003 06:56 PM

and now?

ok. first how complex are we talking.. could you tell use a poly face count ? or a idea of how complex so fare ? and also knowing how much RAM you have will help. Also what operating system ? and grafix card. All would be helpfull.

My maya scene isn't really complex....the model has only x faces and the rest are two image planes...(maybe the image planes too large?is that possible?)

256MB RAM
p4 2.4Ghz
xp home edition
graphic card: its only a RADEON 7500
Someone said me that all the Radeon cards are not suitable for doing 3d stuff.....
I want to supplement that maya directly shuts down if i make a poly merge operation or use the cut faces tool...did it not install correctly??

Kurt 25-11-2003 07:00 PM

Might be the v-Card

Pony 25-11-2003 08:44 PM

I would lean that way fast my self.. radeons can be ok cards for maya, I haven't heard much about the 7500's. Maybe you could try to see if they have updated drivers for it at there web sight ?? also when you do I would save every update you get.. becouse they could mess something up in there next verstion. You might also do a serch on the board hear with radeon or card. something like that to trak down some post that I remember whare they were talking about radeons.. what worked ,, what didn't.. etc..

BTW the rest of your computer sounds fine.. 2.4ghz.. is plunty of power.. 256ram will run maya but you get your stuf to a some what complex state.. your going to have some slowdown..

about all I can think of at the moment..

dannyngan 25-11-2003 09:00 PM

My first thought would be to add more ram. You need a minimum of 512 MB ram to do anything productive in Maya. More is always better. The video card might be the problem, but all you really need to do is check the drivers on it. I have a Radeon 7500 Mobility, and I can run Maya without any problems.

dave_baer 26-11-2003 12:24 AM

Yup, its your RAM. Maya requires a minimum of 512 to work properly. With 256MB, you're barely getting it open. I bet it takes like 2 mintues to open, right? Upgrade to at least 1 GB and you'll have no trouble with the rest of those specs. I run a Radeon 64MB DDR card, which is classed as the 7200 series, so your vid card should be fine.

BTW, Dragonhawk, when you're quoting someone else, try using the QUOTE feature when you post. I thought I had deja vu when I was reading that. heh heh. :D

Dragonhawk 26-11-2003 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dave_baer
Yup, its your RAM. Maya requires a minimum of 512 to work properly. With 256MB, you're barely getting it open. I bet it takes like 2 mintues to open, right? Upgrade to at least 1 GB and you'll have no trouble with the rest of those specs. I run a Radeon 64MB DDR card, which is classed as the 7200 series, so your vid card should be fine.

BTW, Dragonhawk, when you're quoting someone else, try using the QUOTE feature when you post. I thought I had deja vu when I was reading that. heh heh. :D

It really takes some time until its open you are right but it isnt full 2 mins but something around 30sec up to a maximum of 1min.alright the first thing i'll do is to check the card updates now!!.......thx for help...hope i'll be able to continue my project...

dave_baer 27-11-2003 02:53 AM

Card updates? NO! RAM RAM RAM! Your video card is fine. :)

Well.. unless that's what you want to do. I would recommend the ATI FireGL series if it's within your budget.

Dragonhawk 27-11-2003 01:13 PM

YES!!!

WOW thanks a lot for that update-tip!!!
The graphic driver update helped me a lot! NOW i can continue my project! thx guys i would be lost without you....
and RAM = NO!
:P i mean: not needed at the mo.

Pony 27-11-2003 03:52 PM

great !! now the ram will help you out very much. so as soon as you can get some. You will quickly outgrow what you have. At lest I did. 10 minet renders as compared to just 45seconds now..