Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Reference Images - Model Stance (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30927)

vgcollector666 18-09-2008 12:52 AM

Reference Images - Model Stance

Hi, Next week I am having my models come in for a shoot for my characters which I will be creating. My question is this: In addition to the Front, 45°, Side, and Back photos, what else should I do? I also plan on doing close ups of each body part, and the head. My main concern is this: What stance should the models stand in? I've seen various stances but which would be best for using as a reference for modeling? Thanks.

Jay 18-09-2008 02:33 AM

VGcollector

Typically the t-pose is the main stance, but the arms lowered at say 45 degrees is being used alot more now as well

So perhaps a variation and do a few of each

hope that helps
Jay

vgcollector666 18-09-2008 02:38 AM

Those are the two I know of right now, but also I've heart to bend the legs slightly, palms facing forward, etc. What do you guys think would give me the best results come time to model in maya?

Jay 18-09-2008 02:54 AM

As I said a variation would be cool, but also you have to ask yourself whats the aim of the project at the end of the day, animation or still image?

Jay

vgcollector666 18-09-2008 03:00 AM

I plan on making high poly models for my video game project, the high poly ones will be for cutscenes and I can "downgrade" them to lower poly for in game right?

Jay 18-09-2008 05:09 AM

yup you sure can

_J

vgcollector666 18-09-2008 12:48 PM

I don't know if I should start a new thread for this but, what are some pointers, tips, helpful hints, etc. for creating a high-poly character that will be animated eventually? Any and all help will be appreciated as this is my first major project and until now I've only dabbled into maya's extensive package.

alexanderH 18-09-2008 04:32 PM

for reference photos for animation/realism I believe you want a t-pose with the palms facing the ground and straight legs. You get proper muscle definition in such a stance for reference of modeling. For deformation you would want shots of bent legs, and the arms in various positions.

Chirone 18-09-2008 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by vgcollector666
I don't know if I should start a new thread for this but, what are some pointers, tips, helpful hints, etc. for creating a high-poly character that will be animated eventually? Any and all help will be appreciated as this is my first major project and until now I've only dabbled into maya's extensive package.
something was mentioned once before about wrap deformers, i think it was to do with binding a low poly mesh and then using that to deform the high poly mesh

i'm also under the impression that rigging really really high poly meshes are a bad idea and that if you need that sort of detail then displacement mapping is something to consider.

although you need the high polymesh to create a high poly mesh to begin with i think

gster123 19-09-2008 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chirone
lthough you need the high polymesh to create a high poly mesh to begin with i think

What does that mean, high poly mesh to make a high poly mesh? Confused with that one.

Yeah a wrap deformer uses a low poly mesh to drive a high poly so its probably what you want, then again depending on what you have you could use Z to generate Normal/displacements that will give the illusion of a high poly mesh.

Also as Jay mentioned, my personal preference for the pose when modeling is having the arms 45 degrees down, I find you get a better deformation in the shoulder areas.

Chirone 19-09-2008 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gster123
What does that mean, high poly mesh to make a high poly mesh? Confused with that one.
so am i...

i think i meant to say you need the high poly mesh to make displacement maps to make it look like you have a high poly mesh but really you have a low poly...

Jay 19-09-2008 05:03 AM

For sure mate the deformation is far better, the t-pose is fine but when you think about it nobody really walks around with their arms up. This has always bothered me in character setup. The T-pose make the bone placement easier but not for weighting.

But having worked on Headcases and built all my stuff at 45degrees the guys doing the rigs were sorting them in no time and some of them had no rigging experience whatsoever. So it goes to show what can be achieved in a small space of time

Jay

gster123 19-09-2008 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jay
For sure mate the deformation is far better, the t-pose is fine but when you think about it nobody really walks around with their arms up. This has always bothered me in character setup. The T-pose make the bone placement easier but not for weighting.

Yeah Jay, doing quite a few charcters for my uni work, I've found that it works out best, the Tpose would be great for animation where the arms go over the head etc, but most of the time 45 does a great job.

Chrone, you can make a displacement the same way you can paint bump maps, their just grayscale images. Though you can use Z or maya to make maps from a high poly mesh to a low poly. Its really up to the user and how comfey that are with the methods

vgcollector666 19-09-2008 12:54 PM

Thanks for the help so far you guys, however I must say, I'm a n00b at this so not much makes sense to me. I did find a nice tutorial here: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/zpe01.html Would that be worth checking out you think? It uses both Maya and Zbrush both of which I have, It uses Maya for the basic shape, Zbrush for details, and then back into Maya for Texturing? I also will be using Photoshop to do the various maps for it.