Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Extract function (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21882)

wiseta 08-06-2006 05:26 AM

Extract function

At time 30:39 of your Ferrari Part 3: Bumper video, you do you first extract function. I have redone this a bazzillion times but when I do the same thing, I dont get the same results....whether or not I delete or dont delete history or whether I have "seperate extracted faces" selected or not.

I am following the Ferrari tutorial, to a "T"....yet, when I hit the "extract" button, I dont get a seperate object like the you do. You get two objects, as seen by two objects of differing colors, but thats not what happens when I do it. You are using Maya 6 and I am using Maya 7....is there difference in the function between the two versions? What am I doing wrong. I can send screen shots if you want.

Tim

Redmer 08-06-2006 11:51 AM

are you sure you are in object mode?

pbman 08-06-2006 03:30 PM

it works in maya 7 fine - i have done most of the tut up to the concertin to sud d and creasin edges and it works fine

try resetting the extract tools options

wiseta 08-06-2006 04:41 PM

Extract function

Answering this from work.....not in front of my home computer.

Yes, I have fiddled with the Extraction options....doesnt make a difference and I am in object mode.....although, I have to switch to selecting by "faces" but thats what the author does.

Although.......hmmm.....I cant remember if I switched back to "object" mode before selection by faces. Does it make a difference?

pbman 08-06-2006 07:47 PM

no just right click on object and choses faces
select the faces
click extract
delete history
and that sould do it

only thing i can think of no it that wen u extruded the edges there may have been some settings wrong

u could post up the scene file so i could take a look if u want but its up to u

good luck

errethakbe 09-06-2006 12:30 AM

do u have "Separate Extracted Faces" selected in the tool options? It should be to get a separate object.

wiseta 09-06-2006 01:41 AM

Extract function

1 Attachment(s)
The first pic of the scene with just vertices being able to be selected

wiseta 09-06-2006 01:44 AM

Extract function

1 Attachment(s)
Switching from vertices to object mode....notice that the pivot point is not centered....but thats how the author of the tutorial had it.

wiseta 09-06-2006 01:45 AM

extract function

1 Attachment(s)
The next scene is where I switch to face selection mode

wiseta 09-06-2006 02:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In this scene, I selected the bumper faces

wiseta 09-06-2006 02:07 AM

Extract funtion

1 Attachment(s)
I hit the extract button (with seperate faces option in the extract menu unchecked)

wiseta 09-06-2006 02:08 AM

extract function

1 Attachment(s)
Again, I extract, only this time, I have selected seperate faces in the extract menu

ronson49 15-06-2006 10:23 AM

EDIT:

Hey, when your left with the collection of polygons, select them all under the objects mode and goto

Polygons > Combine.

It seemed to have worked for me, after they were combined, i had 2 seperate objects. There must be a combine on extract options somewhere!

I have this problem too, exactly the same.

Thank you so much for the detailed post because it explains everything.

We are being left with a collection of faces, yet on the tutorial his extracted faces automatically turn into an object. When he extracts his bumper, it turns into a single selectable object. I know the guy above aint doing it wrong either because i have redone it 2 times.

pbman 15-06-2006 11:15 AM

remem after u combine u neeed to merge all those verts

ronson49 15-06-2006 01:55 PM

thanks i didnt know that, doin it now :P