Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Modeling (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Polygon Smoothing Difficulty (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33999)

Perfecto 18-04-2010 04:44 AM

Polygon Smoothing Difficulty

1 Attachment(s)
Is there any mesh flow that will allow me to smooth the highlighted object so that I get results like the un-highlighted object?

Currently the un-highlighted object is 2 seperate pieces of geometry. I have spent hours trying to find a way and I must say, I'm totally stumped.

I can leave it 2 pieces..or model it with more polys without smoothing and get the same result. But I'm usually really good at figuring out how to make my mesh flow for my smoothing. This one just has me scratching my head. I'm more curious than anything right now. Is it possible? I'm I just overlooking the obvious?

Jay 18-04-2010 08:05 AM

Perfecto

no worries

you just need to add edge loops near the edges of the extrusion too like you have done with the main shape, pretty straight forward stuff as you are almost there

Jay

Jay 18-04-2010 08:35 AM

Here ya go just so you see. If extrude/scaled the bit out the front so it gives you a head start for the loops in that area. Yo may have to tweak the areas near the extrusion so you dont get a hard edge when you bend it

Jay

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9941/loops.jpg

Perfecto 18-04-2010 12:41 PM

Thanks for the reply Jay. For a straight, flat object, that's how I do it, but this object is curved. If I add those edge loops on the left and right, then after smoothing it creates vertical creases. I had some degree of sucess altering the verts in smooth preview but could never get it completely right.

I also tried adding the edge loops and then grabbing the bottom verts and spreading them out as well as the top, but it still leaves a noticeable crease on both sides of the handle part.

Jay 18-04-2010 02:02 PM

okay mate no worries

did you bend it after or before adding loops?? Just wondering if it makes a difference doing it either way before adding....

Also as nice as we all like doing stuff in one go, sometimes ya just gotta bite the bullet and do it in a couple of bits...just to save time and hassle.

_J

bullet1968 18-04-2010 02:04 PM

hey Perfecto,

I see what you mean!!! I had a similar problem with creating holes in a barrel as the extrusions/booleans etc always left a remnant 'lip'. I am greener than grass in all things Maya but I tried all different ways of achieving what you were after, with no joy.

The only thing I did which reduced the vert seam/crease was to grab the whole vertical row of vertices and shift them in slightly to the centre to give the 'illusion' of uniformity.

I think with my 'hole' problem ctbram said it pretty much is as you see it, unless you manually move them as you have done?

cheers bullet

bullet1968 18-04-2010 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok mate,

green as grass BUT I converted to sub-d (ie ~ button) then went to modify>convert>sub's to poly> and changed it to adaptive. This hasnt completely cleared it AND you have a higher poly count but I honestly cant see a better way. Unless you leave them as seperate mesh?? That is a hard one

cheers bullet

btw I didnt add any more lines than you had apart from the extruded box.

EDIT: sorry, I duplicated the faces, moved, extruded for thickness. Then extruded again to the centre, then boolean to get that result. Mucked around with split poly etc, hope I havent made a numbnuts of myself. I think I also made the faces bigger than the original so the edges ended up between vert loops.

Perfecto 18-04-2010 05:11 PM

Thanks a whole heap for such a valiant attempt bullet1968. I agree, higher polycount, 2 objects, or perhaps nurbs is pretty much the only way. But I feel alot better knowing that I wasn't going crazy. I really felt like I was overlooking something so obvious, lol.

bullet1968 18-04-2010 09:38 PM

no worries mate,

of course I was dreaming about it all bloody night, bahahahaha

bullet1968 19-04-2010 10:36 AM

mate I have been trying again, I really dont think there is a solution other than 2 objects but grouped or combined???

I think its the way Maya interpolates the position of the vertices in the rectangular shape and pulls the skin to it instead of the other way around.

I think I will go with Jay and ctbram who have said "thats the way it rolls" LOL. Unless there is a way to snap the vertices on the rectangular object to a certain radius from the centre point??? That way it would have to conform to the cylinder?

cheers bullet

bullet1968 19-04-2010 02:45 PM

all I can say is 'you bugger',

I have been at it again LOL. You have me curious now. Im just a lowly Surveyor and not a math wiz by any standards BUT I think because the mesh is trying to interpolate curves from flat planes (so to speak) it will always create some sort of crease.

IF you could restrain the vertices required to a dimension (as mentioned before) it would reduce it somewhat. I dont know enough about Maya (see my poor models!) to help anymore. It did take me away from the tedious task of UV mapping for a couple of nights.

I will now retire to my cave and dream the electric dream. You might be able to script a little program to do this?? or there might be one out there??? For other models I have seen they have either used the 2 mesh with just a combine to appear as one???

Anyway thanks for the puzzle, I will remember our meeting as such "puzzle, frustration, ale, more ale, migraine, puzzle, more ale......still more ale.......bugger it blitzted....migraine gone.....puzzle wins".

LOL

cheers bullet

honestdom 19-04-2010 07:24 PM

i'm not sure i understand the problem...

Perfecto 22-04-2010 01:56 AM

ROFL bullet1968 :)

I admire you for your determination.

bullet1968 22-04-2010 02:04 AM

Well I hate things I cant solve :beer:

I am now in the process of trying to create a keyhole in a door handle, jeez its hard. Booleans dont work and I just did something and got it, now I bloody forgot HOW, aaaarrrrrgggggggggggg:headbang:

Mayaniac 22-04-2010 03:04 AM

You could just use the crease tool. You'll get some artifacts, but they're minimal.

Either that, or just stick with 2 separate objects.