Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   hi! maya newbie here :-) (max user for 4 yrs help on clearing things up) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2457)

pitbull 02-12-2002 12:45 AM

hi! maya newbie here :-) (max user for 4 yrs help on clearing things up)

hey!!!!! im new here :-)

ive been playing w maya for sometime now...i made a teddy bear..put fur on him...skinned him(mayas skinning sucks for me...or i havent seen the more fancy stuff)...heres one of my probs :-)...the bones act weird for me..the swivel angle(twist)seems erratic......and! in max...bones are the ones in between the joins...in maya..its the joints that define a bone....weird...can somebody explian this to me? or point to a cool tut on bones :-) thanks!!!!!

done flame me....im new here :-) flame me when im a regular here :-)

Kurt 02-12-2002 01:24 AM

If you can post up a picture, but it seems that you just have to set prefered angles on some of your joints. I'll be able to help ya out more once I see a picture.

Darkware 02-12-2002 03:14 AM

Welcome to Simply Maya, pitbull. Enjoy the site.

mtmckinley 02-12-2002 03:14 AM

I'm planning on a character rigging vid in the future... hopefully it'll help out some.

pitbull 02-12-2002 06:54 AM

thanks for the replies and enthusiasm :-)

its just that when i woved the helper(ikhandle)the arm just bloody twisted :-(..... this does happen in max too,but not like the ones i get in maya.....how do i set the pref angle? i have been looking for this feature for a long time....i suppose its in the att editor? thanks :-)

mtmckinley 02-12-2002 07:21 AM

Try freezing your skeleton's transformations and then applying it.

Kevin 02-12-2002 09:13 AM

welcome to the best maya site on the net pitbull!

pitbull 03-12-2002 02:46 AM

mckinley: uhm...how do i freeze it? sorry newbie here :-(

kevin: thanks!!!! im so happy to see that people here are polite :-) and i still dont see the usual annoying impolite newbie w a bad mouth and the know it all attitude :-) cheers!

mtmckinley 03-12-2002 03:42 AM

Select your root joint or at least the top of the hierarchy of joints that you're having difficult with (ie. shoulder to select entire arm or hip to select entire leg) and Edit > Freeze Transformations.

Then apply an IK hanel. This usually works for me when the IK twists the skeleton up like you described.

Saiyan 03-12-2002 09:05 PM

Hehe....another Max user converted :D ....Welcome to Simply Maya:beer:

iron_tick 03-12-2002 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Saiyan
Hehe....another Max user converted :D ....Welcome to Simply Maya:beer:
At this rate we will rulle the world HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHA AAAAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA....<cough> <cough> ..hmmm

pitbull 04-12-2002 04:52 AM

not really a full convert :-) i just want to have 2 softwares up my sleeve...there are still things i find indispensible in max :-) like the workflow and the robustness....etc...many would not agree w me but max's workflow is the best for me :-) but maya still rocks :-)

mtmckinley 04-12-2002 05:25 AM

to each his own. :D