Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Porsche 959 (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9428)

-<{ JB }>- 16-12-2003 06:20 AM

Porsche 959

1 Attachment(s)
I've been working on this for a while now and finally decided that I should be posting my progress here for everybody to look at.

It's a Porsche 959 and I'm modelling it out of Sub-d's.

twisteddragon33 16-12-2003 06:22 AM

ah i saw this in the crease hard edge thread. Nice detail so far imo.

Is it easier to make cars with lofting birail, subd or polies? Ive heard there are benefits to each.

-<{ JB }>- 16-12-2003 06:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and some more...

twisteddragon33 16-12-2003 06:29 AM

it looks good but im not familiar with that model. So i wouldnt know if there are any mistakes in it. But the bulges on the hood that leads to the lights seems a little off, but that might be how it is. Im a lambo freak myself.

-<{ JB }>- 16-12-2003 06:29 AM

never tried lofting birail or NURBS. Polys are easy to use for almost anything and you can model in low poly then smooth it. I like sub-d because you can work with it like polys and you get the smoothness of NURBS... the only catch is that it's more demanding on your resources.

-<{ JB }>- 16-12-2003 06:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i started modelling from a toy I've got then decided that i needed to get some REAL reference pics. I searched for ages on the net because it's not a very common car and i originally didn't know it's name. I don't think that they are legal in the US.

anyway i did find some pics once I new its name. here's a side shot

twisteddragon33 16-12-2003 06:47 AM

looks very sleek. I especially like the rear spoiler, looks almost like a farrari in the rear.

Ide say your model looks pretty similar except some minor reflections before the front tire seem to be out of place. But it works.

dave_baer 16-12-2003 06:18 PM

Heay -<{JB}>-, while its not the 949, it does have a similar body style. Here's a reference pic for you of the 911 GT2.

http://www.suurland-media.com/bluepr...-sportscar.jpg

Hope it helps. :D

:beer:

-<{ JB }>- 17-12-2003 04:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by dave_baer
while its not the 959, it does have a similar body style. Here's a reference pic for you of the 911 GT2.
Thanks. The side view is basically the same, but the top view is quite different. Here's the best (and only) blueprint I've been able to find... It's just a shame it's so darn small!!

-<{ JB }>- 17-12-2003 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, the car is slowly growing some windows. Don't laugh too much at the glass material :rolleyes: ... the colour is just temp.... I'll make it more real once the modelling process is complete. I still need to do some tweaking on its shape before I move on to make the windscreen and rear window.

I-Iybrid 17-12-2003 02:42 PM

Looks like a cartoon car :p

rich 17-12-2003 02:52 PM

Where the door windows meet the A-pillar seem to have a bevel that makes the glass seem to balloon out of the pillar.

-<{ JB }>- 17-12-2003 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Huxley
Where the door windows meet the A-pillar seem to have a bevel that makes the glass seem to balloon out of the pillar.
Yeah!! glad you could spot that too! that's the biggest thing I still need to tweak before I move on. It looks worse from other angles!

-<{ JB }>- 18-12-2003 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've fixed the bevel on the side window and made the windscreen and rear-window. Next I'll put in some wheels I think.

twisteddragon33 18-12-2003 04:30 PM

i agree with hybrid. Does look cartoony but i think thats becase of the cartoon red color with contrasting blue. Throw a toonshader on there for fun and see what happends:)

Are you going to make the whole car in subs or are wheels/accesories going to be poly?