Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   July/August - N-O-O-B - MattTheMan (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17933)

MattTheMan 22-08-2005 12:22 AM

July/August - N-O-O-B - MattTheMan

Well, I have an idea that I want to put into this competition. As is my style, I am joining in late and going to come up with something that will usually be considered a piece of crap. Here's my concept. A butcher - slaughterhouse worker is working the third shift, and he and his friends and co-workers decide to have some beers before work. They drink through LOTS of bottles until they are QUITE tipsy. So the shift starts and the guy misses, and well, cuts his hand off... with a butcher knife. The bad thing is that the hand has fallen onto an active conveyor belf that heads right to the slice 'em and dice 'em machine. The guy stares in agony as his hand is being destroyed.

Cheers, :beer: (hehe, not before work!)
,Matt :alien:

joed8349 22-08-2005 01:16 AM

Sounds like quite a bit of information to accomplish with one still image. Good luck creating every model and completing the lighting within about one week.

MattTheMan 22-08-2005 11:16 AM

Well, the thing is, I'm just gonna have beers scattered around on the ground and on the table. And all I have to do is to make the man, his clothes, the conveyor belt, some minor textures, rigging for the man, the dead hand, and then the lighting. Can't be too much, I've done tighter deadlines before.

I'm screwed.

MattTheMan 22-08-2005 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a start on the arm

MattTheMan 23-08-2005 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres some composition of the scene.

raduangelescu 23-08-2005 11:32 AM

cool .. keep it up

MattTheMan 23-08-2005 07:50 PM

Hehe... mersi!

Cheers, :beer:

joed8349 23-08-2005 10:37 PM

Nice stuff. Can't wait to see the final...

MattTheMan 25-08-2005 12:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, it's about time I gave an update.
Lets see you chew on THIS

EDIT: I love how my guy turned out, I'm proud of that.

MattTheMan 25-08-2005 01:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And here it is. The final version up for criticism. I can only change the lighting, and, no, I am not changing anything on the characterbecause he is already twice smoothed. Or his hard metal hat. I like that hat. Saved me a lot of work. Here it is. Tear it up!

raduangelescu 25-08-2005 05:51 AM

nice , but try to add an ambien light or something so I can see what's goin on, the models seam verry cool though

MattTheMan 25-08-2005 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, dude, heres a version with an ambient light with a slight red tint. I rendered it in Mental ray with Final Gather. I don't like it too much, so, from now on I will do high quality software render.

Heres the Pic

MattTheMan 25-08-2005 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
O.K. heres the software render one.

CC on it people.

cyclad 25-08-2005 12:55 PM

i dont see he hand too well. i know that it is there but i dont make out that it is a hand. plus the man looks dead and not fearing+loathing. probably he could be slumped against the belt with his cut wrist outstretched toward the hand? + more light

joed8349 25-08-2005 01:13 PM

I like the conveyer belt and the fire. The glow on the little lights should to be less. Try to blend the background more, instead of cutting stright to black. The guy looks a little like plastic, and the hat may need more detail to reveal that it is a hard hat, try some ridges. I would like to see a couple boxes or something next to the conveyer belt, to show what was going in the burner thing in the first place. Also, more beer bottles can be laying around, on the floor too.

Someone had a good idea of changing the position of the character, because right now you don't get the fear and loathing. The main thing I wonder is how the guy lost his hand in the first place, there is nothing in the scene to cut it off...? You may want to add more detail to the lower part of the conveyer belt too. The barrels in the back seem quite large. Some blood can be added coming from his limb, and if he has a shirt on, change its color to something that can be distinguishable.

The beer bottles can be brown, to make them look more like beer bottles. The barrels can be given more of a reflective material to have a shine, and look more like plastic or metal.

Well, there are some critiques, take them as you will. Good luck.