Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Cartoon Dog tutorial - modeling question (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13313)

GhostFaced 01-09-2004 06:42 AM

Cartoon Dog tutorial - modeling question

Hey,
I've been following along the cartoon dog tutorial and everything is going fine until I take a look at my perspective view and see that the other side of my model does not look like the other side. Whereas the the guy doing the tutorial, his model is perfectly symmetrical. Is there something I missed? Is there something I should have turned on so that all changes I make on one side are reflected on the other side?

This is the only thing preventing me from finishing up the tutorial. Any help is greatly appreciated!

magnusm 01-09-2004 07:23 PM

i found that as well i then just went and tried to even it out as much as possible and it looks ok one of the main parts which looked awful was the jaw i deleted it and remade it. going from tutorial 3 to 4 i hit a problem i dont know how to change the whole dog from nurb to poly could someone please help me?

Mantat 01-09-2004 07:27 PM

For the first poste:

just select all the faces on one side of the model and delete them. Then select the 'good' side and duplicate them with a translation of -1 in the X. It should be fine.

magnusm 01-09-2004 07:28 PM

and for the second post?

Mantat 01-09-2004 07:43 PM

Use convert NURB to Poly? Should work...

If not, make sure that you only have the NURB selected an give us the error message. Without it, we cant help much

magnusm 01-09-2004 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
it says Error: nurb to polygons tesselation failed open script editor for more details. could i possibly send this to someone to see if they can fix it?

Kurt 01-09-2004 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Worked first try for me. Make sure your settings for nurbs to polygons have control points clicked.

GhostFaced 01-09-2004 10:12 PM

Thanks for the reply! When I select the faces, I select them via Surface Patches and hit delete and nothing gets deleted? Is there a specific way to do this?

Kurt 01-09-2004 10:26 PM

If you are still using nurbs you cant just delete the surface patches. You will have to detach isoparms to say cut the model in half. Right click select the middle Isoparm thats right in the middle. Then go edit nurbs> detach surface this should cut you geo in half.

GhostFaced 01-09-2004 10:39 PM

very awesome! That worked beautifully. Now to attach the two halves together! Thanks again!

For anyone reading this, to mirror what you want after detaching the surfaces. You use a -1 in scale, depending on what axis you want the object to be mirrored. Then you select both halves and select attach surfaces to make them one again. :cool: