Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Modeling (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Help on the Basic Dog tutorial (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1438)

Wolfie 04-10-2002 07:06 PM

Help on the Basic Dog tutorial

Hey Boys 'n gals ,
I could use some help on the Basic Dog tut featured on this site.

Got Maya 4.5 fired up.

Create Polygon > Cube
Smooth

Modify > convert polygon to subdiv

Right mouse click > Face

Edit Polygons > Extrude Face ...

then I get an error stating > Error : polyExtrudeFacet works on polygonal faces.

DOH ?

:(

Plz help me out here ...

vladan 04-10-2002 07:12 PM

When you convert Cube from polygon to subdiv you must use Subdv meni for editing not Edit poligons.

Or just convert beck to polygons then use Edit Polygons meni with
options for poly.

Cheer :)

Wolfie 04-10-2002 07:59 PM

hmm strange
It says so in the tutorial ... :(

I'm really a beginner , not so funny then when tuts don't go as planned ... makes you lose hope ...

can it be that my version is different from the one used in the tut ?

would be kinda weird, not ?

kbrown 04-10-2002 08:07 PM

Referring the text above: You have converted the model into a SubD. SubD's have two modes: polygon and standard. Before you can extrude a face you must be in polygon mode. This can be selected from Subdiv Surfaces -> Polygon Proxy Mode. Hope that helps...

vladan 04-10-2002 08:50 PM

Its no possible to work with polygonal tools on subdiv object.

This tut has error .Simple don`t convert poly in subdv. And try continue with tut.

Hope that helps.

vladan 04-10-2002 08:58 PM

Or maybe I wrong?

Quote:

Originally posted by kbrown
Referring the text above: You have converted the model into a SubD. SubD's have two modes: polygon and standard. Before you can extrude a face you must be in polygon mode. This can be selected from Subdiv Surfaces -> Polygon Proxy Mode. Hope that helps...

adldesigner 04-10-2002 09:08 PM

On the contrary my friend .. polygon tools work with Sub´Ds surfaces .. for example the best way to work with Sub´Ds is like this ...

Two Pane layout with perspective view in both ... In one you hide Polygons and in the other you hide the Sub´Ds surfaces. The one you are going to work in is the Polygon Proxy one .. however you can´t see it yet since you haven´t selected it, Left-click somewhere in the perspective view and select Polygon from the pop up ... There! You´ve got yourself a polygon to start working with ... watch it update in the Sub´D view :)

Hope it´s clear ... :beer:

(by the way: remember to actually create a sub´d surface though .. )

kbrown 04-10-2002 09:14 PM

adl: That's the way i use SubD's as well mostly. Recently I've tried to stay in pure polygon modeling as long as I can. Then when I have that masses of the model right, I move to more detailed modeling in SubD's (creasings, fine tuning, etc...).

vladan 04-10-2002 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by adldesigner
On the contrary my friend .. polygon tools work with Sub´Ds surfaces .. for example the best way to work with Sub´Ds is like this ...

Two Pane layout with perspective view in both ... In one you hide Polygons and in the other you hide the Sub´Ds surfaces. The one you are going to work in is the Polygon Proxy one .. however you can´t see it yet since you haven´t selected it, Left-click somewhere in the perspective view and select Polygon from the pop up ... There! You´ve got yourself a polygon to start working with ... watch it update in the Sub´D view :)

Hope it´s clear ... :beer:

(by the way: remember to actually create a sub´d surface though .. )

I do no`t now that.

Thanks. :beer:

adldesigner 04-10-2002 09:20 PM

That´s a great approach .. instead of changing to Sub´Ds right at the beggining, although I´m going to brush up on the workflow recommended by Andrew Carmenish in his site.

Nurbs-->Polygon-->Sub´Ds ... read why there.

(Besides .. darn I need to learn those Nurbs!)

vladan 04-10-2002 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by adldesigner
That´s a great approach .. instead of changing to Sub´Ds right at the beggining, although I´m going to brush up on the workflow recommended by Andrew Carmenish in his site.

Nurbs-->Polygon-->Sub´Ds ... read why there.

(Besides .. darn I need to learn those Nurbs!)

Intresting theory. :)
:beer:

kbrown 04-10-2002 09:29 PM

Whee!!! The Human Head site is up again!!! Didn't know that. Muchas crazias or something :D

adldesigner 04-10-2002 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kbrown
Whee!!! The Human Head site is up again!!! Didn't know that. Muchas crazias or something :D
<-- Had the same reaction when I found out myself ... hehe

by the way "muchas gracias" Lol

Lemmy 04-10-2002 09:51 PM

human head site?..hmm rings a bell.. please enlighten me.

adldesigner 04-10-2002 09:54 PM

scroll up about four posts up ...

-and read- .. :beer: