Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dynamics & Special Effects (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   whisps of snow? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11164)

Mr. D 26-03-2004 04:06 PM

whisps of snow?

Hello,

Could someone please help?
I'm working on a scene where I need whisps of snow to blow off a mountain top and swirl around in the air as it blows off screen.

While I've been using Maya, on and off, for years I'm to particles or fluids for that matter.

Could someone please either tell me or point me to a tutorial that might help.

Also any refence on making cool clouds with fluids wouldn't hurt either.

Any and all help is much appriciated.
Thanks.

dragonsfire 26-03-2004 04:18 PM

U could use the top of the mountain as an emitter then use a vortex field to creat the swirls. Look at the maya docs Vortex/Dynamics for details. Their is also some information in the maya tutorial Docs with the program.
Clouds just use volume sphere and apply a cloud texture.

satch 26-03-2004 08:58 PM

I've seen this exact effect done using a 2d fluid in maya. It's fairly simple and renders pretty quickly. You can play with the tutorials at Alias or I think there are some fluid tutorials online.
Also you could set up a fairly simple simulation with point particles emiting from a curve and a turbulance
field with the directional phase of your choice animated.

Hope this is helpful.

Mr. D 29-03-2004 04:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thankyou both:

Ok so I've got a working understanding now of the particiles, and I'm good on clouds in the sky.

But I still need to get this spin drift effect, and as yet I have been unable to:

Mr. D 29-03-2004 05:11 PM

Is there a way to get praticles or fluids to follow path - which might achieve this effect????

ragecgi 29-03-2004 05:53 PM

Sure, there is:
  • -Keying it
  • -Curve Flow
  • -Path Flow

But in your case, as stated above by satch, your best and easiest bet at this point would be to:
  • -Make your mountaintop geom LIVE.
  • -Draw a curve on it (or duplicate one)
  • -Make that curve an emitter.
  • -tweak the particles emitting from it so they emit from the areas of the curve to your liking. (paint weights, or whatever)
  • -also tweak the emittrer to emit the particles in the Y direction.
  • -attach an AIR field using the WIND setting.
  • -attach gravity to the particles. (just a teeny bit)
  • -make the particles and mountain object "collide" just for safety:)
  • -make the particles dissipate/fade the closer they get to the moutain geometry via sdk, OR the SPREAD attribute of either the WIND and/or the emitter itself, OR just make them fade after a few seconds. (easier)
  • -Attach turbulence AND vortex field(s) to the particles and tweak the vortex field to get the particles to "swirl" a bit, and tweak the turbulence to get the particles to randomize thier look a bit:)

good luck!