Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Game Challenge - dockode (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23682)

dockode 30-10-2006 06:03 AM

Game Challenge - dockode

Hey, I'm going to give this one a shot. This will be the first challenge I've entered.

I started a sketch earlier today, and began work on the model so we will see how it goes.

Cheers.

dockode 30-10-2006 06:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I'm going to try for an air/land vehicle. It's going to be a sort of hoover craft. This image has no weapons sketched on to it, and is actually rather incomplete. I just wanted to share the concept before I get too far.

30-10-2006 07:23 AM

that looks pretty cool and fun to drive I WANT ONE:D

petrol 30-10-2006 02:10 PM

Kinda reminds me of the hovering thingy from UT2k4 Onslaught, looks cool. Good luck.

dockode 03-11-2006 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I've been working away hacking at the design, complaining about the lack of 'coolness', and banging my head into the monitor trying to come up with ideas on how to improve my idea. I thought I'd take a break from all of that fun and present you all with a quick render. You'll notice it still lacks weapons, because they are currently being designed, and the model is pretty low resolution at this point weighing in at just under 4000 triangle polys, but I will be adding a good deal more detail. At this point the concept has two turbo-fans for lift, and a two ramjets for forward thrust. It's not really intended for flight above about 30-40 ft, but it could make it using those ramjets. I intend for it to be a light support hoover vehicle for armored infantry, kind of like a scout with better weapons. It can take on unarmored infantry on it's own, but would need help against an armored division. I am hoping to have a version with weapons up for everyone to see pretty soon. But for now...

arran 03-11-2006 09:32 AM

sounds like you have this well thought through. This is looking excellent so far. I really like the design, especially the hovercraft idea - I think it looks pretty cool, so you can stop banging your head! :beer:

dockode 03-11-2006 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey thanks arran.

Here is another quick one from earlier today.

dockode 08-11-2006 10:11 PM

Well, I haven't had much time to work on the model. I've been very busy on a new database application I've been developing for a client and it's eating up a lot of my time because they need it to work on a low end machine, without being mind numbingly slow. But I'll be taking a break soon to get back to work on this.

I've noticed that a lot of the other models are designed for a single person. I thought I might scale down my idea, after all we are designing vehicles for a game. It should be possible for a player to walk right up and ride it. So without making drastic changes to my original design, I've considered adjusting the model to suit this type of game.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to change, but it won't look radically different from what I already had in mind.

Hope to catch up soon though... :headbang: Those clients and their software demands...

AlphaFlyte 09-11-2006 05:18 PM

Hmmm please don't let what others are doing affect or drive your design or ideas. Build it upon what you like and what you would like it to be. Perhaps in a game you'd like to play. Much more solid.

For your model it'd be a fine game model I think. It's all about scale and proportion. Put a sugarcube next to your ship and call it empire state building and the ship will appear huge. Put one pilot that takes up half of the main body and the ship will suddenly appear very small, and with unbalanced proportions. Anyway that's besides the point.
Scale, purpose, function, form. It's good to think in those terms :)