Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   calling all 8.5 users! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25820)

Bluecow 09-04-2007 12:22 PM

calling all 8.5 users!

i need help i cant seem to find certain things since there is no longer a menu for edit polygons and such and this is for the apache tutorial also (check in the vip selection i'm asking a more in depth question but i don't think too many people using 8.5 is v.i.p.s

extrude polygons: No clue
extrude edge: No clue
Cut face tool: polygons tab
split polygon tool: polygons tab
append to polygon tool: No clue
merge vertices: polygons tab
delete edge: No clue
freeze transformations: modify menu
center pivot: modify menu
and for the script the source refplane; doesnt work you have to restart maya which isnt a big deal.

and does anyone know how to move them to a new tab? the cntrl+shift doesnt work on buttons :(

where would layer options be? the image plane locks and i cant edit it afterwords. i thinking of just finding maya 7 somewheres sadly..

any help would be great!

gster123 09-04-2007 03:10 PM

Why do you want them to change into a new tab, there in the polygon's tab already, the extrude options are next to the split poly option.

also for the others look in the mesh and edit mesh in the polygons menu set.

For other things that you cant find, have a look in the search function of the help files, thats what I did when I upgraded from 6.0 to 8.5, it tells you exactly where they are.

publicFunction 09-04-2007 04:49 PM

As Steve said check out the help file. There has been some big changes from 6/6.5 and 7 to versions 8 & 8.5.

The changes in 8.5 are for the better I say, the menus take a little while to get used to tho.

The Quick Menus/Tabs have not really changed that much and all the icons are the same as they were in 6 or 7. Againas Steve said all thepoly tools extist in the Modelling Menu Set under Mesh and Edit Mesh.
  • Extrude Polys and Edges are now the same tool/option in the Edit Mesh Menu, it will extrude what ever you have selected (Vert, Face, Edge) Edit Mesh > Extrude.
  • Append to Polygon Tool is under Edit Mesh if Memory Serves me right. Edit MEsh > Append To Polygon
  • Delete Edge is found under Edit Mesh > Delete Edge/Vertice
  • Script Window is in the same place. But if you are having issues using it then reinstall Maya. I have not come across this issue myself.

Perfecto 09-04-2007 09:06 PM

I'm completely new to Maya. I've been usiing it (8.5) for almost 6 weeks now. I've done a total of 3 tutorials, all of which had different menu layouts. However, using the help files, I was able to find them all. Just open your help files, as previously mentioned, and then use the search box. Over time, you'll get used to it.

good luck!

In my opinion, you're better off sticking with 8.5 because some things DO WORK BETTER! One example is the bevel feature. In older versions, there was alot of clean up afterwards (I see it in the tutorials), but with my version, it works like a charm.

Bluecow 09-04-2007 11:42 PM

thank you guys! i found everything i i was confused on the extrude edges because i didnt know it was all put into one tool now.

one last really noobish question

after making an image plane/ref i cant edit it like the old way where you could turn it on and off and lock it. now its just locked did they move that menu or was it just removed?

vladimirjp 10-04-2007 12:05 AM

im pretty sure your maya 8.5 docs has a "whats new" section.
read that.

Perfecto 10-04-2007 12:16 AM

I'm at work so I can't explain it exactly. But, I'm assuming you put your image plane on it's own layer. sounds like that layer is locked. If so, underneath your channel editor where you layers are listed, find the layer with your image plane and play with the check boxes beside it. The check boxes allow you to lock the layer, hide the layer, etc.

Note: The boxes are not just check or uncheck, some have three options.

Bluecow 10-04-2007 12:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
im sorry guys i tried all sorts of things and i just cant seem to get it to work, the plane is locked and i can't scale it.

the layers option menu is just gone, its driving me crazy!

***i take it back i found it but its still locked!! ahh

Perfecto 10-04-2007 12:57 AM

Do you see at the bottom right of your screen where it shows 2 check boxes. one has a "V" and one has an "R". There next to the layer called "Ref_Planes". Click on the "R" in the check box. Then select your plane to see if you can edit it. If it doesn't work, click on the checkbox one more time and try again.

Bluecow 10-04-2007 01:02 AM

yep it wasnt working before i i figured out that if im in the presp view it doesnt work and only in the side view can i select it (weird) anyways thanks for the help guys!

i was going crazy for hours now trying to find the simplest thing its like asking how do you open photoshop and make a new image , kinda like step one.

well im off to spend hours and hours on the apache!

Perfecto 10-04-2007 01:11 AM

It should work in all views. It does with mine anyway. See if the check boxes I mentioned have different settings for each of your views.

R-Tillery 10-04-2007 11:06 AM

Try hitting Ctrl+Spacebar 2 times if it dont show up,, if nothing set all back to defualt.