Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Unfinished models: civilian and nazi guys (World War 2) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18095)

athos 02-09-2005 01:38 AM

Unfinished models: civilian and nazi guys (World War 2)

1 Attachment(s)
Hi. I´ll post here the WIP I was going to post in my entry to the June/August Challenge.

I don´t know if anyone will be interested on it, but meredith, a user of this forum, suggested it. There is nothing special with the models, and they are still without the wrinkles I planned to put on their clothes. I think I´ll try it in the next week, just for the sake of curiosity and feel of completion. But I can´t swear I will.

Maybe one feel that an interesting thing here is the approach. The way I did things to get the models "done". Some practical tips that I learned from various tutorials on the web and them twisted and mixed together, picking those which I feel more confortable to use.

The first still is the head of the jew civilian. I´ve taken some photo references of a middle-aged man in google. He had an interesting rounded head with a nose that seems like classical greek sculptures, more or less.

You can see by the low poly head in the right that I used a polygonal approach, with the Connect Poly Shape (CPS) plugin for Maya, by Dirk Bialluch (http://dirk-bialluch.mayaring.com/).

The head on the left is just a smoothed version of the one on the right, generated with the help of the plugin, using the options subdvisions 1, mirror X and stitch.

athos 02-09-2005 01:43 AM

wires

1 Attachment(s)
The wires, for anyone that, like me, is always curious about the edge loops and how the surface flows along the mesh.

athos 02-09-2005 02:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I will resume things here to the interesting combinations in the approach (as I am in no way a maya expert to write tutorials).
As a note: I don´t remember to have seen a tutorial using this combination of approachs, but surely they may exist in the web.

1. Began with a good utility for nurbs: a dense base mesh to sculpt with artisan tools and quickly obtain forms of human anatomy (don´t need to be detailed, just suggestions). I used an image plane with a photo ref. to keep control of things.

athos 02-09-2005 02:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
2. Make it live (Modify > Make live) and use the maya´s create polygon tool to make the eye and mouth edgeloops, rough nose, chin, back of the head and finish it up. Delete or hide the nurbs head. It´s useless from now on.

Detail the eye, nose and mouth regions adding loops etc.

At this time I´ve gone ahead based upon the Krishnamurti Costa´s tutorial (www.antropus.com) on poly-by-poly head modeling.

Look for his tutorial on modeling an ear.

athos 02-09-2005 02:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This was the nazi guy soldier´s head. To obtain the civilian´s head I used the soft modification tool, looking all the time to the photo and character design references, until I´ve reach the fisionomy I wanted and time was over (or my entry would be).

You can see that the tight time I had made me leave the nazi guy´s fisionomy unfinished, looking a bit generic.

I´ll post more WIP later. Now I´m going sleep.

athos 02-09-2005 05:01 AM

Not sleeping yet.

Someone may have noticed that almost all my post had been edited recently. It is because I read then often looking for english language mistakes (it´s not my native language) and correcting them.

It´s not always, but it´s often.

t1ck135 02-09-2005 07:44 AM

nice :)

Its good to know the technique you used to create the head. I've only tried polys so far but might give your method a go.

How long did it take you to create the first head (the one with the image reference in) as you seemed to make it very quickly?

athos 02-09-2005 02:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, t1ck135,

I´ve taken about 1:30h or 2h (30 min. distracted with experimentation). But the ear I made two days before, and just combined it with the head, making minor adjustements.

If I hadn´t to care about the geometry being all quads, I could have done it a little faster.

Because of the time I had, I was counting the time I had to do each model.

This Luger, for an instance, I modeled in 1h. But it has some unresolved geometry.

I´ll post the maya scene files here later, in the case someone want to see it in 3d and play with it.