Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Whats the differance? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1275)

LonelyCoo 24-09-2002 02:33 PM

Whats the differance?

Ive read lots about Nerbs and Polygons etc, but i dont really know the difference between modeling with one and the other.

Ive still not really tried my hand at Maya having only had it for a few weeks, ive done a few of the video tutorials from this site to get me started, but me making my own stuff is not going to well.

So just a question asking for some help i suppose, might be where im going wrong.

Simon

Kevin 24-09-2002 03:53 PM

Simon...dont try to creat anything to outragous... the first thing I tried to do was a human head!!!it really messed me up for ages

Try the simple things like primitive shapes and editing the cv's on them th make a basic shape.

What I found was fun when I got going was to make a nurbs cylinder and to try to make a basic arm shape..kina bigger at the top and getting thinner on the way down.

helped with the cv editing also... plus its amazing what really basic shapes can do... make a big cube, cut 4 holes in and you have a house shape.

Try then to rotate a shape around for the roof....kinda simple but fun.

But dont set your goals to big to start...go easy, if you need more tutorials to help you join the VIP area :)

There are great examples of simple shapes for cool looking things...for example the "tie fighter" was just 1 sphere! just extruded out, then 2 cubes for the wings! as for what modeling to start with...well maybe start with polys as generally people find these a little easier to get to grips with

hope this helps

BLADE 24-09-2002 04:02 PM

lol, Same problem..... started out with the head....up until last night!!! good god this can be so frustraiting. starting small sounds like just the ticket to me. thanx Kevin, even though it's plain ol' common sense, sometimes it helps to have it shouted out loud.....

Nem 24-09-2002 05:19 PM

hey!! my names simon too! :D hello simon :)
i would recommend learning polys first, cos basically, its a lot easier to visualize cos with nurbs, the curves dont nessecarily follow the points, kinda thing, i just find that harder than polys
but polys do take a while to master

mtmckinley 24-09-2002 06:35 PM

I remember back when I was in classes for Maya, the first projects we did were to create a space ship (not the one in the books... from scratch) and a temple (Taj Mahal *sp?* type stuff) using pretty basic nurbs and polygon shapes...

They came out fairly well, and I learned a lot before hitting the next projects. We didn't even touch characters for a looong time. :)

Nem 24-09-2002 06:42 PM

ur first characters pretty cool as well :)

LonelyCoo 25-09-2002 07:56 AM

Thank you

all for your replys. Im trundle along with it, working my way throught all the tutorials i can find.
Thats what i did with Max and im doing ok in that.

Simon