Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Setting Rotation Limits (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14864)

AgentCapt 29-12-2004 09:45 PM

Setting Rotation Limits

Im setting up a farm seen as it seems to be popular at the moment and im a n00b to 3dcg. for the doors im trying to set rotational limits just as i would do with an IK handle.. can anyone help me address this?

blomkaal 30-12-2004 09:14 AM

You could add an attribute...

Haven't done this in a while, so bear with me if it ain't completely correct:

1. Make sure the door's pivot is where you want the it to revolve around.

2. Go to Modify -> Add Attribute and name the attribute (something like "swing" or "open" or something like that), and enter the values. Minimum should be 0 and Maximum should probably be the amount you want it to be able to open in degrees (if you want it to open to 180°, make the max value 180) and default doesn't really matter...

3. Key the values with the rotate attritube using Set Driven Key (Animate -> Set Driven Key -> Set [Option box])

Assuming you had to door selected, it will be loaded as the Driven object. If not, click Load Driven. Still with the door selected, click Load Driver.

In the Driver window, select you new attribute, and in the Driven window, select Rotate Y. Make sure that both attributes are set to 0, and then click Key.
Set the new attribute to its maximum and Rotate Y to the max you want the door to open, and click Key again.

You should now have a door that opens. To test it, click the attribute you added (the name, not the input box) and drag with the MMB in the work area, and watch your door swing open! :)

-Blomkaal

AgentCapt 01-01-2005 12:12 AM

thanx i will try this when i get home again and let you know what happens..

blomkaal 02-01-2005 10:50 AM

Yeah let me know if it works... I'm a bit curious about that myself :)

AgentCapt 02-01-2005 08:58 PM

yes it did work.. but i was lloking now into a hinge constraint with the door as an ARB thats affected by dynamics...

blomkaal 03-01-2005 04:01 PM

Not quite sure what you mean, but if you want hinges to move with the door, just parent them together...

mtmckinley 03-01-2005 05:22 PM

In the joint attributes, you have rotation limits section where you can set angles.

AgentCapt 03-01-2005 06:51 PM

awesome thanx MT!!

LAOMUSIC 03-01-2015 04:46 AM

I am trowing a ball against a door which have a Hinge Constraint to it.

Where to find the settings for the hinge Constraint Limits ?

Jay 03-01-2015 01:00 PM

For rotation limits do as As Mike said...its the easiest option of all. Select your object go to the Attributes for the model (not the shape) scroll down to Limit Information and open the Rotate tab, you can set your limits there.

'Hinge Constraint' is there such a constraint?? Im still in 2014. The setting/attributes for most things are always in the attribute editor. Seek and you will find.

Jay