Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   rigging toes (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13175)

greenleaf 23-08-2004 02:11 PM

rigging toes

Does anyone know how to go about rigging individual toes on a foot? Rather than having the normal rig setup for a foot, I want to be able to move the individual toes.

Thanx if anyone can help,
greenleaf

Kurt 23-08-2004 02:18 PM

I would be pretty much the same set up as a hand just not as much space between the joints...

Or if you have a lot of time you can use blend shapes.

greenleaf 23-08-2004 03:33 PM

my 3 toes

1 Attachment(s)
hey thanx kurt,

of course it didn't occur to me to do it this way! i downloaded your tut on the hand setup so i'll take another look. here's the foot i want to rig with the 3 toes.

greenleaf
:)

Kurt 23-08-2004 03:41 PM

Ya looks like using a simialr method as the hand will work well for your foot.

greenleaf 23-08-2004 03:45 PM

cool! i'll have a go.
thanx

greenleaf 23-08-2004 06:54 PM

okay, i have another question. is it still possible to do a footroll with this method so i can rotate the ball of the foot. would i need to set up the leg part as normal, like with an ik handle and then do the foot part like a the hand?like how can i plant the foot to the ground and still get all the toes working like in the hand control setup? would i need to use the sticky ik function too so that the body doesn't go through the floor with this setup. hope i'm not making this too complicated than it should be.

greenleaf

Kurt 23-08-2004 07:00 PM

Yes you can have the foot rolls. I would suggest making a locator to add the toe rolls like the figure rolls using set driven key. then just parent the locator to the ankel joint. This way you can make sure the rolls work correctly.

greenleaf 23-08-2004 07:18 PM

the footroll

So I would need to constrain the locator to the IK of the leg and then parent it to the ankle?

Kurt 23-08-2004 07:30 PM

nope just make the locator and parent to the ankel joint should move with the leg.

greenleaf 23-08-2004 08:25 PM

thanx kurt,

i think i see what you mean. the locator will be the controller, just like with the hand and when i move this around it will control the foot and move with the leg. the attributes and set driven key stuff will be put on the locator like with the hand. so i'm hoping that when i have all of this done, i can still do the footroll because i'll have assigned the toe curls or rotates but i'll still be controlling where the placement of the foot is by using the locator to position it on the floor. right?! wow, i hope i got it right. i guess there is only one way to find out.

greenleaf 03-09-2004 06:27 PM

curl setup but what about heel rotation?

kurt,

i did the foot curls with the set driven key, but is there a way that i can get the heel to rotate and not have the toes go through the floor, like with a normal foot setup? i don't see how i'll be able to do both.

g.
:confused: