Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Upgrading Laptop? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26600)

Altadena 15-06-2007 06:15 AM

Upgrading Laptop?

is it possible to upgrade a dell laptop's video card and procesor

xsx 15-06-2007 11:14 AM

Anything is possible, but practical, i wouldn't say so....upgrading any laptop is more of a hassle, than if you were to just buy a new one. You're better off spending the extra dough for a new one you can personalize.

gster123 15-06-2007 05:55 PM

Depends which one to be honest.

The Architect 16-06-2007 06:02 PM

I'm very certain that laptops can't be upgraded since most of them have the cpu and gpu soldered onto the mainboard.

gster123 16-06-2007 06:06 PM

Nah, depending on the laptop you can, mine for example will let you upgrage the processor, graphics, RAM, tells you how to in the instructions

barnettbeans 17-06-2007 01:00 AM

just get one of these mate \/

gster123 17-06-2007 11:10 AM

Thats what Ive got lol.

the M1710.

Your right though Architect a lot of them are soldered in.

The Architect 17-06-2007 02:36 PM

After I saw some pics describing the process of upgrading the cpu in a Dell M1710, I can't help but wonder why is everone praising it. I'm sure its performs pretty well, but the variant of the Core 2 that Dell uses doesn't even have a intergrated heatsink and the cpu socket doesn't even have its own load plate. Could you really trust this setup?

gster123 17-06-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Architect
After I saw some pics describing the process of upgrading the cpu in a Dell M1710, I can't help but wonder why is everone praising it. I'm sure its performs pretty well, but the variant of the Core 2 that Dell uses doesn't even have a intergrated heatsink and the cpu socket doesn't even have its own load plate. Could you really trust this setup?
One word, after using one heavily for a number of months, day in and day out, yes.

Ive never had a problem with it (running batch renders at 100% on both cores for about a week), no probs.

I doubt that its been thrown together without testing and thought, and i'm sure that the people that designed the CPU/Socket are a bit more experianced at CPU, and chipset desing than us mere mortals

The Architect 17-06-2007 06:44 PM

gster123 > 'I doubt that its been thrown together without testing and thought, and i'm sure that the people that designed the CPU/Socket are a bit more experianced at CPU, and chipset desing than us mere mortals'

I'm no expert on these matters but what I do know is that laptops have a tendency to break really easily.

A friend who gave me a old P3 laptop that didn't work and when I opened it up, the chip (without intergrated heatsink of course) had a chip in it caused by the heat pipe plate. When you look at the M1710 setup you sometimes wonder just how durable it is. I mean, the socket doesn't has no load plate! What mysterious methods does it use to ensure the chip doesn't move around?

gster123 17-06-2007 08:54 PM

Dunno?? maybe PFM? But if its a motherboard, designed for a laptop, with a chip designed for a laptop, i would assume that the designers would have thought about the durability and made it suitable for its usage (otherwise i'm sure they would be in the brown stuff if its a design fault, that dosent make if fit for purpose of said nature) and the chips been abut for a bit and is used in lots of other systems (Mac's I think have the same method) and theres not been a big spate of problems it wouuld point to it being fine.

I think laptops migt have a tendancy to break as when people get used to carrying them form place to place, they tend to throw them about a bit and also dont give them decent protection when moving them about, i.e they will pay £1000 for a laptop and £20 on a bag for said laptop.