Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finished Work (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   The unseen side of Moon (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9795)

el_newty 13-01-2004 08:24 AM

The unseen side of Moon

1 Attachment(s)
This is my latest work.
Hope is good enough for gallery submision ???
Hope you like it.

Cheers.

Pony 13-01-2004 08:41 AM

thats pritty darn cool. I really like some of the difrent afects you have going on hear.

Alan 13-01-2004 09:51 AM

I like those plants with the balls hanging from them those are cool, The crystals are nice but I dont think that they show up enough. I also feel that the plants dont looks as though they are part of the scene, rather they look like they are sitting ontop of the terrain (which I guess they are ;)) I would add some little bits of grass around them to hide the join with the terrain, remember that they are supposed to be growing from the ground not placed upon it ;)

The shader on the pillars is a little "boring" compared with the rest of the scene, what sort of material were you going for there? I would add a better bump map and make the general colour of the thing more interesting.

The pool of water should be reflecting that big ass crystal hanging above it, at the moment there doesnt appear to be any sort of illumination from that crystal being shown up in the water.

My last point is the res of the ground texture. It looks blurred even from this distance, what size is the map? I would consider tiling it or making it huge (2k minimum) and then adding a bump/displacement map. Did you ever see my spiders animation from a long time ago? That texture map on the ground was 4k tiled 4times just to keep the resolution up (you dont need to go that extreme but you do need to boost it) ;)

I hope you take my comments in the constructive way they were meant :)

Alan

el_newty 13-01-2004 10:15 AM

Thanks guys,

Pure_Mornin, your comments was taken friendly and in a good way, as you said in a constructive way.
Now I try to answer too...
- what did you want to mean with the cristals? can you be more specific?
- yes the plants have a non realistic look, they stay on top of the ground, I will try to improove this
- the pilars are some kinda ivorys
- I have no ideea why the water don't reflect the cristal? maybe from another angle it becomes visible
- the ground texture has 1024x1024, I think a bigger will be great and btw I saw your animation with the spiders, great work.

Cheers.

twisteddragon33 14-01-2004 08:30 AM

I agree the plans look too much like resting on the ground.. but your already working on that...

I thought the horn things were sapposed to be ivory, i got that impression when i saw it. But i think a little lighter, with slightly more shine would help.

There seems to be lots of gasses released, and things floating in the air. Gravity on the moon is 1/6th earth(i assume its earths moon?), shouldnt the gysers be shooting up higher with less gravity to force them down. And if gasses are shooting into the atmosphere... why isnt there some sort of semi-atmosphere forming, like even slight light deformation, refraction, something... Unless the gasses are just shooting right out into space...

MainlineX 05-02-2004 09:05 PM

Very cool work!

jam_ed 06-02-2004 08:40 AM

That looks awesome el_newty!

I have one question, how can I make things shine like your diamond?

el_newty 06-02-2004 09:07 AM

Oh jam-ed, that's simple... in attribute editor under the common material attributes you can find a "tab" named special effects, there you can increase the glow intensity attributes for the material to obtain the desired glow.
Hope it helps
Cheers.

el_newty 06-02-2004 09:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For a better understanding, here is a capture for you.
Good luck.

Clod 06-02-2004 10:37 AM

Nice scene. I don't think the crystal reflection could be seen in the water at this camera angle pure_morning. How is the water done BTW?

Alan 06-02-2004 11:09 AM

Quote:

I don't think the crystal reflection could be seen in the water at this camera angle pure_morning
Em yeah it would :) that and the whole structure suppporting it :) It would be very clearly seen in the water. The wtare really should be reflecting the environment around it. Check the uploads section for a script for doing reflection maps that I just uploaded.

Alan

jam_ed 06-02-2004 11:42 AM

Thanks el_newty, that was a feature I had overlooked...

el_newty 06-02-2004 12:00 PM

jam_ed, you welcome.

Pure_Morning I downloaded your mel script and I intend to try it today :)

Cheers.

mtmckinley 06-02-2004 01:33 PM

It'd benefit from some dynamic lighting, I think.

Clod 06-02-2004 01:56 PM

The vector going from the eye to the water would reflect off the water into the space background. You'd catch the bottom of two of the pilars but you wouldn't catch the diamond. You'd have to be standing quite close to the water's edge before you'd see the diamond reflected.