Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Maya 8.5 (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24634)

Jay 14-01-2007 07:21 PM

Maya 8.5

http://www.cgchannel.com/news/viewfe...sp?newsid=5853

Cheers
Jay

gster123 14-01-2007 07:29 PM

Well 8 didnt last to long....

Do you think that it has any more features other than the python programming and the unified dynamics?

The dynamics sounds interesting.

Jay 14-01-2007 08:15 PM

I dunno mate, Maya 8 didnt do jack for me to make me want to buy it, this is no different. Its all very well having this that an the other coming out in it, but what are the chances being that most of us will use these new features on a regular basis? Jeez Ive hardly touched dynamics as it is. And python scripting? Is that a snake that writes mel for you?

If it was a case of having just one version of Maya being like max where you can buy plugins such as cloth and fur then Id get it. Im considering a move to Max as it is bcause of its features, possibly C4D even

Cheers
Jay

gster123 14-01-2007 08:25 PM

Yeah man, same here with 8, sure hope that this is a free upgrade as there dosent seem to be that much substance to the upgrade, might be wrong as the python scripting might be an untapped wealth of features???

I used the dynamics quite a bit when I started off as I started making little effects for videos etc trying to make realistic movements so dynamics were great.

Uni's with maya 7 moving to 8 (probably 8.5 now) at the moment, so I was thinking of going to 8, might hold on though as in summer there might be maya 9 with a "Good" upgrade.

Theres lots of 3rd party plugins for maya rarther than going unlim? Are they more pricey than for max?

gster123 14-01-2007 09:04 PM

Just had a look on Autodesks site, the new cloth system seems to be pretty good as well as the ability to create virtual suns for outdoor lighting in mental ray, which has new shaders for architectureal visulisations.

Also theres apparantly a bit speed boost with the Nucleus system

happymat27 14-01-2007 10:59 PM

Just got the e-mail from autodesk myself!!!!

WTF are they playing at???

I've just forked out for Maya 8 so that I can do my uni work at home and they go and make another upgrade which the university will be obliged to comply with hence my investment is instantly pointless!!

What is the point on any of the upgrades from Autodesk so far, I was much happier with the more stable Alias Maya 7 until I was forced to upgrade by my course. I can't afford or justify another upgrade this year (4 months after I purchased the last one!).

Rant over,

Mat ):

NitroLiq 15-01-2007 12:20 AM

I'm still curious as to when v-ray will finally be integrated....that'd be a worthy upgrade for those doing architectural visualization. The v-ray folks announced they were working on it a couple of years ago and then...nothing. It's like sasquatch.

publicFunction 15-01-2007 12:51 AM

I think we are starting to see the disappearence of Maya as we know it...

THX1138 15-01-2007 03:35 AM

Making money is Autodesk's main goal. They seem to care more about catering to large $$ buisness $$ rather than the independant artist. I would not be surprized if Autodesk is trying to go the way of Micro$oft and corner the market.

The Architect 15-01-2007 05:18 AM

THX1138 > 'Making money is Autodesk's main goal. They seem to care more about catering to large $$ buisness $$ rather than the independant artist. I would not be surprized if Autodesk is trying to go the way of Micro$oft and corner the market.'

Finally someone sees the truth! THX1138, you are completely right. All Autodesk cares about is making lots of money as quick as possible like Microsoft. The camparison is flawless - they both buyout competitors, they both don't care about the quality of their products, they both are evil... the list is endless.

If you ask me, Maya's fate ain't gonna be good. Autodesk is going to slowly kill it bit by bit just like what they did to countless other apps they aquired.

Jay 15-01-2007 06:05 AM

Yeah this could be true, hence my venturing to look at max or c4d. Its just typical of a .5 release too.

Happymat:

I was lucky when I bought Maya 5, as a I got a free upgrade to V6 about a month or two after, because of the time I'd bought it V5 was almost obselete. Might be worth asking Autodesk dealers where you stand with this type of option

gster:

There are some good plugins for maya, ie shave and haircut is awsome for a shade under 250 quid and is easy to use, though Syflex cloth is very pricey atm, though is better than mayas cloth system. Maxs plugins are just great all have a good price, but the great thing with it is its inclusion of character studio which sounds great to use and isnt half as much trouble as standard rigging, but dont quote me on it LOL just incase Im talking crap!

Nitroliq: Yeah Vray is STILL being tested in the Beta version for Maya, we checked it out here recently at work, though word is comparing it with MR is as like comparing software, its all swings and roundabouts, but apparently its easier to setup but it renders slower...typical!

Cheers
Jay

gster123 15-01-2007 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Architect

All Autodesk cares about is making lots of money as quick as possible like Microsoft. The camparison is flawless - they both buyout competitors, they both don't care about the quality of their products, they both are evil... the list is endless.

Business is business, the bigger a company becomes the more driven they are to get the cash, rarther than have happy customers, especially in the case of independant artists.

If you had a business you would want to try and either aquire your competitors or push them out (look at the oil, motor industries, medical etc industries), its simple economics not good vs evil.

Happymat - Hope you get a free upgrade, concidering that you have only just upgraded to 8. You might be lucky and uni might keep 8 concidering that they have only just upgraded as they might not justify the cash??

The Architect 15-01-2007 06:54 AM

gster123 > 'Business is business, the bigger a company becomes the more driven they are to get the cash, rarther than have happy customers, especially in the case of independant artists. If you had a business you would want to try and either aquire your competitors or push them out (look at the oil, motor industries, medical etc industries), its simple economics not good vs evil.'

Heres a better comparison. Autodesk is like Mr. Burns. They are both driven to be competive and will slant drill a school's oil reserve and steal candy from a baby in order to make an extra ten cents.

And I think people will like a company more if they forced out their competitor with their technological quality alone, instead of buyouts, lawsuits, misleading the competitor's potential customers and ect. If you say such a company does not exist, an old company called S3 got kicked out of the video card market becuase Nvidia and everyone else had better technology, not more money.

gster123 15-01-2007 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Architect

Heres a better comparison. Autodesk is like Mr. Burns. They are both driven to be competive and will slant drill a school's oil reserve and steal candy from a baby in order to make an extra ten cents.

Ok, whatever...

sure you must have some insider info on this then.....

publicFunction 15-01-2007 07:38 AM

OK,

Yes we all agree this is about money, and not the product. Autodesk made a statement that "...both Maya and Max will continue as separate apps in their own right for the foreseeable future. We have no intention of discontinuing either app..."

Reading between the lines it reads:

We acquired Discreet and took on Max and made no major changes to it or any of the other Discreet apps. Now we have bought Alias we have cornered the VFX, SFX and Games Industries and own the 2 largest used apps in the 3D industry. We will let you all settle down and stop worrying before we get rid of both and make them one single application. Max and Maya will go at some point, we are just not saying when. Mwahahahahahaha.

Now I had spoken to gster about this 2 or 3 days ago and I said then I was worried about the future on Maya. Version 8 had the default geometry creation set to the way Max does it. Max 9 now has the same intro welcome page as Maya does. These little things point out for big changes in my book, just look out for other little Max things appearing in Maya and Maya stuff appearing in Max.

Mark my words, both apps are for the scrap heap and a new app is being morphed in front of us. Don't believe me!!! If you were CEO of Autodesk and you were spending double the money to create, maintain, develop and support 2 apps that do basically the same job, what would you do?

Hmmm... Do not trust anything that comes out of corporation statements.