Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   The PHAT- Python practice (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33954)

elephantinc 03-04-2010 08:52 PM

The PHAT- Python practice

1 Attachment(s)
Over the past 6 months I've been learning python and to learn a bit more I've started making a game. I'm hoping it will help me get into a good university (probably going to do computer science).
It's called the PHAT which stands for "The Phanteater army training (programme)". You play as a trainee anteater and the game is mostly a tutorial.
So far I've finished the basic movement and UI tutorial. My efforts to make an executable have so far been unsuccessful so I can't post anything that works but I can attach the code and screenshots. (Starts with menu.py)

Please tell me if I've done anything I shouldn't have or if there is a much better way to do something.

Menu:
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/3...ture2ym.th.png

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3487/picture3qc.th.png

stwert 03-04-2010 11:31 PM

Heh... captain placeholder eh?

I don't know how to make an exe either... I just run python scripts from the command line.

ben hobden 04-04-2010 01:38 AM

how is python, as a language? is it fun to learn? i bought myself a book, a little while ago, which is learning python through making a game. i havnt had a go though yet.

stwert 04-04-2010 04:42 AM

Python for me has been a pretty good learning experience, mostly just messing around and reading documentation to try to achieve whatever goal I needed. I do bioinformatics, by the way, so most of the stuff I use it for is string based. I'm looking forward to using it with maya though.

elephantinc 04-04-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ben hobden
how is python, as a language? is it fun to learn? i bought myself a book, a little while ago, which is learning python through making a game. i havnt had a go though yet.
If you don't already know a programming language it's really good. It's probably the highest level (proper) programming language. It's very human readable.
It's easy to learn and it's used for pretty much everything. If you are serious about programming I think you need to learn another programming language afterwards but it's great to start off with.

As far as creating a .exe is concerned there is an application called py2exe that bundles in a python interpreter and all the appropriate modules but so far I haven't managed to get it working.

You can do anything with python: http://www.swharden.com/blog/images/python.png

ben hobden 04-04-2010 11:38 AM

Nooo, im not serious about programming. Just where ive been learning maya,ive always heard of it, and then i was using after effects the other day and i saw you could use it in that. I read that stuff about it being easy and most human like. With visuals and pretty colours too i thought you cant go wrong! :)

elephantinc 04-04-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ben hobden
Nooo, im not serious about programming. Just where ive been learning maya,ive always heard of it, and then i was using after effects the other day and i saw you could use it in that. I read that stuff about it being easy and most human like. With visuals and pretty colours too i thought you cant go wrong! :)
Go for it then. You always get helpful error messages too.

ctbram 04-04-2010 07:11 PM

Good luck with a degree in computer science.

It's like having a degree in pre-unemployment. ;)

elephantinc 04-04-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ctbram
Good luck with a degree in computer science.

It's like having a degree in pre-unemployment. ;)

errr Thanks?
The number of people in england taking Comp Sci courses has dropped dramatically so I can hope.......

stwert 04-04-2010 07:54 PM

Don't listen to ctbram, comp sci has applications in a huge diversity of fields. I went to a career fair at my university and many of the companies were looking for comp sci grads... much more than biology :rolleyes:

ctbram 04-04-2010 08:05 PM

I was just teasing.

I have a B.S. in computer science and electrical engineering as well as a masters in aeronautical engineering and just completed a PhD in medical physics (biotech).

Much of what I did when I was doing my research involves computational analysis and utilized a great deal of my experience with programming.

I should have put more then just the smiley winky emoticon. Truly, wish you the best with your CS degree.

stwert 04-04-2010 09:10 PM

Haha, I must have missed the winky... next time do something like...

JK!!!!! LOL!!!! :attn: ;) :bow: :p :beer: :eek: :p :p ROFL!!! CSC Roxors ur boxxors...!!!!:p :p

elephantinc 04-04-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ctbram
I was just teasing.

I have a B.S. in computer science and electrical engineering as well as a masters in aeronautical engineering and just completed a PhD in medical physics (biotech).

Much of what I did when I was doing my research involves computational analysis and utilized a great deal of my experience with programming.

I should have put more then just the smiley winky emoticon. Truly, wish you the best with your CS degree.

Thanks ;)
It does still have the 5th highest post graduate unemployment rating though, at somewhere in the 20% region.
Still, the universities I hope to get in to have much higher post graduate employment ratings, some of which are 100% (although how many of them ended up working in Mcdonalds is anyones guess)

gster123 05-04-2010 11:16 AM

Good luck with the Python.

I've only toyed with it. More of a C, Matlab, MEL and C# guy.

The first year of the degree will be a leveler to get everyone up to speed.

What uni's are you thinking about?

Steve

Mayaniac 05-04-2010 03:26 PM

Yeah, should be fun. I spent awhile learning C# then some XNA... wasn't really my thing tbh, but haven't tried Python, so can't give you any cits/advice.

Good luck with it all though.