Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Modeling (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cutting Out Words? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35461)

eclipsechick08 09-04-2011 06:39 PM

Cutting Out Words?

Hey guys I'm trying to model this bottle:

http://blacklightbottles.com/images/Chambord.jpg

But with a few alterations. I have everything modeled but the gold wrap around part. How can I make that and cut out the letters to say something else?

Perfecto 09-04-2011 08:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You can use the Create Text tool to create the text. Then you can use a lattice or a non-linear bend to make it conform to the bottle. You can also use a path to place the text but my preference would be to use a non-linear bend.

eclipsechick08 09-04-2011 09:52 PM

Thank you!

I've got the text and I moved it to the bottle but the words don't bend on their own. I placed each letter where they're supposed to go but they're still just flat objects on it. Then how would I cut it out?

Perfecto 09-04-2011 10:06 PM

Can you explain what you mean by Cut them out? Do you mean change them to something else?

eclipsechick08 09-04-2011 10:11 PM

Like cut out the letter shapes so it's just an empty space where the letters are so you can see through it to the bottle?

stwert 09-04-2011 10:15 PM

I would start with them in a straight line, group them all together, and use a bend deformer to wrap them around the bottle. Hope that helps. As for cutting them out, I'm not sure I understand, can you post a shot of what you've got so far?

eclipsechick08 09-04-2011 10:29 PM

Well you see how in the real bottle the negative space around the letters is cut out? I want to reverse that and have the negative space be the letters.

This is what i've got so far:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...g?t=1302388144

Perfecto 09-04-2011 11:28 PM

Haha, I'm going to let someone else hopefully answer that question. My answer would only cause you problems. My way would be to use boolean difference to do that but I understand booleans very well. If you're not familiar with booleans it will cause you a major headache and you should wait for a different answer.

eclipsechick08 09-04-2011 11:53 PM

Okay thank you anyways

stwert 10-04-2011 12:00 AM

Haha, I was going to let someone else answer too, cause my solution was booleans... maybe you should just use booleans. Worth a try anyway. Or you could use a texture with a transparency map, I suppose.

eclipsechick08 10-04-2011 12:29 AM

So with the booleans would i still use the text tool or just have to model the text?

bullet1968 10-04-2011 01:10 AM

why do you want to do that mate??? Im looking at the bottle and the letters are pretty much stuck straight on....there is no need to delete anything from what I can see. Looking at your model you seemed to have made an extra 'lump' around the middle....this isnt needed mate. Just make the bottle as one...create the letters and attach to the bottle. from what I can see the jewelry part is a seperate component and is placed over the top. I have seen this before on special bottles of wine/bourbon.

cheers bullet

EDIT : LOL just realised its a liqueur...LOL so I have seen them before...

Perfecto 10-04-2011 02:36 AM

Ok, I have another method that might be better suited for you and give you nice clean geometry in the end. I'll try it out first and if it works simple enough, I'll post the instructions.

Perfecto 10-04-2011 03:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The other method I was thinking of turns out to be more trouble for you lol. I was thinking about creating poly text with no caps. Then combining all the letters into 1 mesh and using the append to poly tool to start piecing them together.

I'm thinking you should just use the boolean difference.
1. Create text
2. Create the cube you plan on cutting the text out of.
3. Make sure the text goes all the way through the cube. You should see the text in front and behind the cube.
4. Make sure an edge passes through all the letters. also make sure and edge passes through any parts of letters that are disconnected. For example, the letter B has two holes and each hole needs to have an edge through it. Since the horizontal edge doesn't go through both holes on the B, I created a Vertical Edge for the letter B in the attached image. Hope that's making sense to you.
5. Once you have all the edges you need on the cube, perform your boolean difference. Select the cube, then the text and perform boolean.
6. If you did everything correctly, you should be able to bevel the inside edges of the letters without your geometry going crazy. You'll probably want to use the split poly tool though to connect the inside edges to the outside. You'll be able to get better bevels if you do, otherwise your bevels may end up being really small.

I posted a screenshot of the text settings I used in case you were interested.

eclipsechick08 10-04-2011 03:27 AM

Thank you so much!!