Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   SM Tournaments (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Tournament #1 - Finalround - M VS GCastro (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5573)

M 02-05-2003 07:41 AM

Tournament #1 - Finalround - M VS GCastro

Alright, so you are the winners from round 2, heres the rules.. 1 week from today (ends thursday next week, poll will go on until saturday). Model a scene for your already textured critter with accessories. The final render should be totally CG with a nice scene suiting the model :). Best of luck! This tournament chart will be updated whever there is new images posted to keep you informed on how everyone is doing. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT VOTE UNTIL THE DEADLINE. Have fun :D.

http://64.180.100.76/public/personal...aya/tourny.jpg

GCastro 02-05-2003 03:26 PM

Great!

A couple quick questions M.

Say I model the foreground, but want some mountains in the background in the horizon.. should I model those as well ? or can I do a matte painting?

Do I have until Thursday midnight?

Dynamics allowed? ex. smoke, dust, etc...

This is gonna be great.. I'll work on some sketches tonight and work on modeling the environment tomorrow :)

Can't wait to see what you come up with M

George

adldesigner 02-05-2003 03:30 PM

Congratulations guys, excellent tournament both.
I want to see the results.

ragecgi 02-05-2003 03:34 PM

I don't see why a matte painting would be a bad idea, however, I don't run these tourneys, so it's not up to me:) hehe...

Then again, a fully cg environment, would be a cool thing too!

Mountains, castle interior, whatever....

M 02-05-2003 04:39 PM

:D, this will be a good battle!!! Heheheh. What i wanted to say GCastro.. is that the scene should be 100% CG.. as you know, it is a maya tournament. I personally think that would be awesome.. but it is just a strictly maya tournament.. maybe we can have a tournament in the future thats, anything goes :D.. heheh. (NO RULES PARTY ON). I will have some sketches by tonight :).

adldesigner 02-05-2003 04:49 PM

Why would a matte painting proyected on a plane be different from the textures your models already have?

Kevin 02-05-2003 04:52 PM

stick to the rules! or face the concequences

M 02-05-2003 04:56 PM

LOL.. adl.. haha, yea.. just get a image from the web, chuck it on a plane.. call it your scene. Hmm, or even a matte painting.. same thing its not 3d, its on a plane. Anyways, Briging up the point.. i dont care if you use matte painting for your textures.. so if you want a tree, you can make the thing, then matte paint the whole thing.. thats fine.. just it has to be a 3d scene :).

M 02-05-2003 04:58 PM

BTW, im thinking of either a rainforest type scenario.. or a island type scenario where I model a island.. lol. I may only do 1 part for this tournament.. but I want a whole map for when i want to do animations in the future. Anyways, it could be totally different than both of those things.. i shall see ;).

adldesigner 02-05-2003 04:58 PM

I didnĀ“t say George could have the freedom to actually pluck an image and call it a scene, however it could work for the horizon and distance objects.
I agree he should model the 3d enviroment, but Matte paintings are a part of the CG process and as such can even be used in Maya.

Those where my 2 cents.

M 02-05-2003 05:03 PM

Yea, your probably right adl.. having to model everything in maya could be a pain.. its more just for the learning experience though. One thing then... if you have distant lands in the background or something like that.. model the ground, the trees or w/e around your model.. everything really important and so that it looks like 80-90% of your render will be totally CG, then feel free to chuck in a Matte painting.. yea... makes sence adl. So, matte paintings allowed for skys, distant lands, etc.. ask first though before you starte your matte paiting :).

GCastro 02-05-2003 05:25 PM

Yeah, that's what I meant :) I've got this cool rocky desert idea that I'm gonna model. Might due a small matte painting in the far distance to give it some depth. Nothing high quality or that will take away from the modeled environment. It'll be cool, you'll see :)

Thanks,
George

M 02-05-2003 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alright, total change of idea.. came to me as i was going through the kitchen. Here is the new idea for a scene.. the ground will be tile :). BTW, sorry for my lack of tablet ;).

EDIT - Now that i look at this image... he would probably be a bit taller.. kinda like the size of your computer tower.. or basically up to your knees :).

GCastro 02-05-2003 05:40 PM

Hehe.... that looks cool M!

That way he can hack his opponents off at the knees :)

George

twisteddragon33 02-05-2003 05:45 PM

Are you aloud to cross platform? Its already been said that using lightwave or other 3d programs in the tournement is allowed. How about if someone used Lightwave for the main object, then imported it into bryce for the sceery. Bot are 3d programs. And you do have to make all the pits of scenery in bryce...

Just something to think about.