Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Jr.Who - W.I.P. - Spitfire Plane (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28034)

02-11-2007 01:40 PM

Jr.Who - W.I.P. - Spitfire Plane

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

Time for another W.I.P.! I've been working on this one for a couple of days (on and off). I was going to post this up yesterday, but it was my birthday. Anyway, after I texture this, I'm going to take a stab at compositing, and possibly some animation with compositing.

Like usual, I’m just going to put up screen grabs, but when I get to texturing, I’ll be doing some good renders.

-Jr.Who
:beer:

02-11-2007 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's after 3 days of work.

02-11-2007 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And 5 days. I think I've spent about 3 hours on this. I'm hoping that I get some more work finished later today.

AikoWorld 02-11-2007 01:53 PM

very nice, i like where this is heading :)

02-11-2007 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, AikoWorld.

I'm getting a little worried about the mesh, though. It doesn't seem to want to cooperate as much as I thought it would.

Anyway, the poly count is 2,782 faces in this pic.

arran 02-11-2007 04:02 PM

nice job jr who :beer:

what problems are you having with the mesh?

02-11-2007 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by arran
nice job jr who :beer:

what problems are you having with the mesh?

Thanks, Arran. :beer:

Mostly around the front where the pipe things are. I'm trying to square off the box that they are in, but it makes hard edges on the rest of the plane, too.

AikoWorld 02-11-2007 04:13 PM

have you used soft/harden edge function in the normals tab?

Or is it not i poly, i cant really tell from the images.

If it is nurbs then im of no use to you :)

arran 02-11-2007 04:41 PM

hmm - if your're using polys than I would wait until you have the model finished and then use the soften harden tool to go back over your model to decide where you want soft or hard edges.

if it's nurbs, than i'm not sure...

AikoWorld 02-11-2007 05:01 PM

arran a question for you what reason is it to wait till the model is finished before soften harden tool?

cuz i use it allot and i think i have used it while modelling.

thx

DJbLAZER 02-11-2007 05:03 PM

For a real quality polymodel all edges should be soft. The "hard" edges should appear because of beveling. Hard/soft edges are mostly for low polygon modeling.

arran 02-11-2007 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AikoWorld
arran a question for you what reason is it to wait till the model is finished before soften harden tool?

cuz i use it allot and i think i have used it while modelling.

thx

yeah - i do too - i just find that further modeling tends to cancel things i've done with the normals tool, so I usually do a soften at the end and then go back over any problem edges... though i think djblazer makes sense - any high poly models should essentially be soft. I find the soften / harden tool helpful when i'm doing hard modelling.

AikoWorld 02-11-2007 05:55 PM

thx for you guys`s insight about soften harden :) thx!

02-11-2007 07:20 PM

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll try them next time I get into Maya.

BTW, it isn't NURBS, it's just polygons with the 3 key pressed in '08. I love this, because haven't used sub'ds in so long. :D

ctbram 02-11-2007 10:15 PM

Looking good JR. Yeah getting tight corners in a curved section of a polymodel can be a real pain.

I don't really have any method that I can suggest. The only thing I have done that can sometimes work is to try and cut the section out to localize the edge flow. In some cases that works well and adds some realistic sections with panel lines. But Iam not sure it would work well for this section of the SF.