Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   how do you draw this in maya (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30003)

consuetude 26-05-2008 02:37 AM

how do you draw this in maya

1 Attachment(s)
help guys. how do you draw these kind of 3-d spheres, if you only have the unit component.

consuetude 26-05-2008 02:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
if you only have the small unit item on the surface, how do you form a sphere or squre with this unit component?

jsprogg 26-05-2008 05:02 AM

Hi, your question is a little confusing to understand as it is not entirely clear what you want to achieve.
Could you be a little more specific as to what it is you want to do?
If as your question suggests you want to draw the object then a 2D Painting application would be a better choice, but if you want to model the item to make a 3D object so you can rotate it and render from different angles, are you asking how to model it from this reference image ?

publicFunction 26-05-2008 07:08 AM

I think he might want to create it in 3D, but there is no default geometry to give a 1/2 Sphere with a slice out of it and for it to show the same thinkness.

If I am right, let me know. It should be reletivly easy to accomplish.

consuetude 26-05-2008 12:38 PM

sorry about the confusion. the object in the graph is liposomes, and is made of lipids. i am wondering, if i can draw a lipid, which is the units that make up the sphere, can i draw that sphere?

in another way, if i have a object, can i replicate it, so it can form a conformal structure according some rules. such as cubic made of sticks, or sphere made of little balls?

thank you very much for your answers.

arran 26-05-2008 01:15 PM

er..still not sure if i'm getting you. :)

just make a sphere, cut it in half. duplicate and make the second one smaller. now use the append tool to join the edges. then either make or find a texture of lots of spheres - you could probably do it with a procedural texture - and map it to the bump node.

actually modeling those lipids is kind of pointless unless you want to get in close.

publicFunction 26-05-2008 01:50 PM

I think I get what you want...

Your wanting to be able to generate this, by entering some calculations into a UI for it to generate this model according to the data supplied.

If this is the case than it could be done, but will require some very heavy MEL Scripting. It would be easier to model it out

jsprogg 26-05-2008 04:12 PM

If I am reading this correctly i think he wants to model the half sphere made from lots of little tiny spheres...hummm think i need to think on this for an easy solution.

caligraphics 26-05-2008 04:30 PM

My immidiate idea to create this, would be:

half a sphere with thickness
add the small spheres as objects around the edges ehere the big sphere has been cut in half.
add all the small spheres on the big sphere using a normal map or displacement map - like a golfball kinda texture or using the Bulge texture node..

consuetude 26-05-2008 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jsprogg
If I am reading this correctly i think he wants to model the half sphere made from lots of little tiny spheres...hummm think i need to think on this for an easy solution.

jsprogg,

i think you got what i want here. just a individual component, and form a bigger structure with this component.

such as a sphere or half sphere consist of small balls as surface units..

sorry about my english, it is horrible, i know.

THX1138 26-05-2008 06:34 PM

Why don't you just paint a custom bump map and apply that to a half sphere? Would be alot faster to render than actually modeling something like that IMO.

publicFunction 26-05-2008 06:48 PM

Use dynamics with a goal attached to the surface of a sphere. I think this would give better control

publicFunction 26-05-2008 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A slightly uniformed look tho...

gster123 27-05-2008 04:53 AM

hey chris you could birth them into a bit of noise via MEL to get em a tad random

publicFunction 27-05-2008 05:29 AM

THats would give better control over random sizes and placement