Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Vertex Selection Problems (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2677)

dfp1 13-12-2002 11:20 PM

Vertex Selection Problems

Hi,

I have created a couple of polygon objects and one was created from a boolean operation, but all history has been deleted. Also, the camera for each view has been checked and they have the same clipping planes for near and far. In three of the views I can see all the objects, but one of the views (top) I cannot and it does not matter how close I zoom into the object .. some of the geometry just refuses to show.

In addition, and this is the major issue, If I select a bunch of points in the geometry using (in one of the views where all of the geometry shows) only some of the points in the bounding box will be selected, when they should ALL show as selected because they are in the bounding box that I drag. If I hit shift and drag again, the points selected change to another bunch of points in the bounding box, but not all of them and they are a different bunch than before. If I clear it and then try the selection again,
I get the same problem. I have rebooted and loaded the scene and tried again, but to no avail. This is also happened in other scenes. Does anyone else have an issue where all points that should be selected within a bounding box are not. I tried adjusting the camera clipping values just in case this was the problem, but it did not help.

Cheers,

Don.

dannyngan 14-12-2002 12:55 AM

Not sure about your camera problem, but as for your vertex selection issue, it sounds like you have backface culling turned on. You can disable it temporarily in the Custom Polygon Display options box, or you can change it permanently in Preferences -> Polygons.

dfp1 14-12-2002 01:33 AM

Danny,

Thanks for replying so quickly and I will give it a go. This site really ROCKS !!!!

If it creates this problem then when and why (what situations) would I would backface culling on ????

Cheers,

Don

dfp1 14-12-2002 02:30 AM

Hey Danny,

I checked the settings and I cannot deselect backface culling in preferences or in the custom polygon diplay because it is grayed out and it is not selected in the shading menu either for the view. Any reason it would be grayed out ???

I also checked the normals and they are all facing the camera .... but I zoomed in to the image and slected a part and then did frame selected and then it showed up like magic .... so I'm beginning to think that perhaps it is my graphics card because at first in the top view I could only see a couple of the items and then I did a frame all and more showed up and then the piece of geometry that would not showed the normal facing the right way, but it diplayed as if the normal was facing the other way .... so I could see through it to the geometry below and then when I selected it and did a frame selected it showed peoperly as well ???

Regardless, is you have any other thoughts then please advise and once again thanks for the help as you lead me down the right path and that's always needed.

Cheers,

Don.

BTW ... I just toasted your efforts with my Rum and Coke :o)

dannyngan 14-12-2002 08:32 PM

In either of the dialog boxes (Preferences or CPD), go down to the bottom of the panels and use the Backface Culling dropdown menu. You can control backculling settings from there.

Not quite sure what you're describing with the normals/faces issue. A screenshot perhaps?

dfp1 15-12-2002 06:35 AM

Hi Danny,

Found it ..... thank you ... needed to open those eyes just a little more :o)

normals/face is cool also

Posted a question about Combine and Seperate Polygons if you're bored though .... lol

Cheers and Thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!!

Don