Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   converting models to OpenGL (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19464)

blazing_fire 14-12-2005 07:20 PM

converting models to OpenGL

Hi you all.

I'm doing a project in OpenGL, and I want to import my Maya models in a form I can use with OpenGL programming.

I need to convert both polygonal and NURBS models to the invironment, and i want to know how i can do it, and what's the limitations.

Thank ahead,
me :)

sensensen 16-12-2005 11:59 PM

Re: converting models to OpenGL

Quote:

Originally posted by blazing_fire
Hi you all.

I'm doing a project in OpenGL, and I want to import my Maya models in a form I can use with OpenGL programming.

I need to convert both polygonal and NURBS models to the invironment, and i want to know how i can do it, and what's the limitations.

Thank ahead,

the Graphics card I have is a ATI x600 and its running on a 3g P4.

I tried to install drivers from ATI but not sure if it stayed the same or got worse....

anyway ... if someone could throw me

Phopojijo 17-12-2005 02:50 AM

Re: converting models to OpenGL

Quote:

Originally posted by blazing_fire
Hi you all.

Thank ahead,

Okay -- this is going to piss you off but there's no standard openGL import fileformat (at least not that I'm aware of) unlike .x for DirectX.

You'll need to code your own... also NURBS will need to be converted to polygons to work correctly in a realtime environment.

blazing_fire 17-12-2005 05:02 PM

Re: Re: converting models to OpenGL

Quote:

Originally posted by Phopojijo
Okay -- this is going to piss you off but there's no standard openGL import fileformat (at least not that I'm aware of) unlike .x for DirectX.

You'll need to code your own... also NURBS will need to be converted to polygons to work correctly in a realtime environment.

first of all, thanks for your replay :)

second-I don't want to convert it to a file, I want to convert it to a C code I can use with programming softwares such as Visual Studio. Does it makes any difference?

Phopojijo 18-12-2005 02:24 AM

No difference -- personally I'd check around for some opensource file format (or make your own... depends on what features you want it to have... if you just want unsmoothed polygons and possibly UVs and space is not an option then you can use a file like JMS which is uncompiled and uncompressed.

Again -- I need to know what its for to give better suggestions...

Btw -- all a file is is a series of variables... its much more efficient memory, space, and processor (go figure) to use file import then simply bake it in the program. You can load files as much or as little as you wish... a program's inflated if its baked in.