Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Fcheck/RenderGlobals issue!! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10931)

Stephen 12-03-2004 01:28 PM

Fcheck/RenderGlobals issue!!

Hi all,
I have my render globals set to 550 frame animation, name.#.ext, as jpeg, with a buffer of 3 zeros (so I can take the files into After effects).
What I dont understand is why do you have to select jpeg in the globals as it only always out puts the files as .iff no matter what I select.
So I can only open them in Fcheck if it was a jpeg I should be able to open it in PS, but Fcheck has to convert it first? And then when it does convert the files to jpegs it knocks off the zeros which means I have to go through and put them all in so AE can import the sequence.

What am I doing wrong guys?
cheers

rich 12-03-2004 01:41 PM

This sounds very strange! If you watch the script editor when rendering is it showing that it's creating IFF files or JPG files? Also, are you 100% sure you are looking in the right folder?

I know these are dumb questions, but it's all I can think of. I just created a practically identical scenario and I cannot reproduce your problem.

Stephen 12-03-2004 01:49 PM

Hi there, yes it does say jpegs in the scrip editor, I can deal with that part of the problem as I can convert them but it doesnt retain all the zeros after converting?????, even if I change the naming to name.ext.# doesnt make any difference!!

rich 12-03-2004 02:07 PM

You shouldn't have to be doing anything with FCHECK. What knocks me out here is that it says it's creating JPG's but when you look in the folder you find IFF files? Very strange.

You may want to contact Alias technical support on this problem. What version of Maya are you using?

jsprogg 12-03-2004 03:25 PM

render issue

I too get the same problem when rendering , it always does a .iff no matter whether I select jpeg or not. .I am using Maya 5 unlimited btw.

Alan 12-03-2004 04:31 PM

on a slightly different subject, why are you rendering as jpgs? jpgs are a lossy compression and thus you will have artifacts in your render. Why dont you render as tiffs or targas? that way a you will get an alpha channel and b you will have lossless compression on the files. Oh and you should always pad with at least 4 figures not 3 ;) As for it defaulting to iff's I'm not sure. There are certain things in maya that can only be done with iff's such as z depths etc but that shouldnt be a problem.... hmm could you post a scene file where you're having the problem?

dragonsfire 12-03-2004 04:38 PM

It also speeds up the rndering when u use lossless images.

Darkware 13-03-2004 02:08 AM

I agree completely with not rendering out in jpegs. They stink really bad...lol

Not trying to go off on a tangent or anything, but why do you recommend padding with 4 instead of 4 Pure_Morning? You only need it to be as high as the number of digits in frame number in your animation I thought.....

Alan 13-03-2004 06:29 PM

4 is better cause basically it's standard. Some programs dont like images that arent padded with 4 digits. And also if your animation is more than 100 frames long then it can start to become a problem... I always do it just for safety's sake (And cause I have to at work ;))

Darkware 14-03-2004 08:23 AM

ahh I see. I think it's sort of silly if a program has trouble reading 3 padded images to tell you the truth, but oh well. lol. I can't imagine why it would become a problem if your animation is above 100 frames either though, but I'll take your word for it. I know over 999 frames is a problem because then you would be forced to pad with 4. I suppose it is a good safety precaution no matter what though and doesn't really cause any problems if you do. :)