Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   April challenge - cb8rwh - normal (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4924)

cb8rwh 01-04-2003 07:16 PM

April challenge - cb8rwh - normal

ello all,

gonna give this a shot but I really am a noobie at this organic modelling - figure I will certainly learn summat by giving it a whirl.

My character is going to be called 'Asswiperon' - his name suggests what his role in Hell consists of - wiping satan's hot ass. Hope this doesn't offend anyone.

There's going to be lot's of TP involved :)

I would post some concept drawings but I blow at frawing and don't want to embarrass myself any further.
I think I will go thru Mike's head modelling tutorials for the head then tweak a lot to get the form of the head then take the body from there - is this ok?? do I HAVE to to have concept drwaings?

cb8rwh 02-04-2003 01:18 PM

ello,

have started trying to model a form of a head - i am going to model a normal human head then hopefully reshape using lattices into a more demonic ass wiper head.

I have gone for basura3d's method. I have tried loads of different methods in the past but this, so far, seems to be the one I am going to go for from now on. If you want a tutorial on this (although based on 3dmax) go to www.3dtotal.com freestuff, tutorials, 3dmax, complete projects, joan of arc, then head. the tutorial seems pretty thorough.

cb8rwh 02-04-2003 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
heres a shot of the head so far. taking a long time.

cb8rwh 02-04-2003 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another update - nose and bigger lips

I am using a source head shot from fineart.sk - it is just the base - I am hopefuly going to change the look totally.

any c&c

cb8rwh 02-04-2003 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
messing about with lattices

cb8rwh 02-04-2003 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
got a bit of a problem - when I smooth this section shows a hard edge or an edge you can see, so I try to merge th emultiple edges and get the following result. Anyone got any ideas how to get rid of the hard edge when smoothing?

alexgc 03-04-2003 12:54 AM

hey cb8rwh, what u need to do is select the edge u r having trouble with, and then go to

edit polygons>normals>soften/harden

goto to the options box and move the angle slider some way to the soften side (I tend to slide it all the way to soften) then click on apply.

That should do the trick :)

M 03-04-2003 07:26 AM

I always just select my whole model.. and then soften the whole thing (slider all the way to right). Should work, from what i see there, you wont even need to smooth it if you use a soften/harden technique, it will smooth it right out with the same number of poly's... it should make it perfect, if not.. you can always smooth :).

cb8rwh 03-04-2003 08:28 AM

cheers guys,

I tried to soften/harden but it stayed there :( it seemed to think it was a border edge!! so I just deleted the incriminating faces and used append poly tool to put them back. seemed to do the trick.

will usw the soften harden thing to look at model while modelling then probably smooth when rendering.

Attaching ears is an official pain in the ass!!

cb8rwh 03-04-2003 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
bit of an update. This is the basic head shape i am going to settle with - don't know how to add things like wrinkles - bump map??

ears are a bit of a botch job - didn't really have a clue how to attach them, just as well you can't see behind them :)

C&C welcome

mtmckinley 03-04-2003 07:05 PM

looking good. :)

Pony 04-04-2003 02:43 AM

like the eyes.. are you going to do pointy eyebrows also ? would look good.

cb8rwh 04-04-2003 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
evening all.

trying to start on the body, but as usual I get so far and get stuck as to how to go forward. It looks like the following at the moment - modelled in nurbs so far.

Any ideas how I move forward? I know I need to add detail but I am finding it more and more difficult.

cb8rwh 04-04-2003 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
struggling on the body big style, so I thought I would go back to the head. Added some horns - any good or too symmetrical??

M 04-04-2003 09:57 PM

hey man, keep it up! I suggest making those horns a bit more sharp :). It kinda looks like baby dino horns atm :(. The face and body really are coming along though, good job!