Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   A very very big noob (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33520)

lizardfolk 31-12-2009 08:07 AM

A very very big noob

Hi, I'm lizardfolk, just you average internet dweller and a college film student (i.e. wannabie filmmaker :P).

Anyways, (as i think it's obvious), I am a complete noob to Maya and computer animation in general. I took a class in Alice but that really didnt help me understand more about Maya and 3DS Max.

I have a few noob questions if you guys can bare with me.

As a film student I was thinking of creating indie animation movies. Theoretically it's easier than managing stuff like lighting, sets, weather, etc in real life as all that can be a headache as well as getting location permissions.

I talked to a friend who's a computer science major and I wanted to know if creating something like this is possible on Maya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_NZb...x=0&playnext=1

And yes I do know that's from a large budget video game (Mass Effect). But my friend told me that with large amounts of time and dedication. I will probably be able to recreate a movie with the same quality as that using Maya.

Is an animated movie (like Mass Effect) feasible for me to do alone? Is it really possible for me to animate and model something like that Mass Effect cutscene? Is my friend just saying what I want to hear?

Any feedback, comments or opinions would be very welcome. Also, if this was possible for me to do, how long would it take me to learn all the skills I need to create this? 2 years? 5 years?

As you can see I am completely in the dark on how I want to proceed with my ideas. I want to know if this is possible or if I'm just having a pipe dream.

Thanks very much for your time

effacer 31-12-2009 10:13 AM

make it two years in Maya...

Aurorap 31-12-2009 11:08 AM

If you ask me, you should get some good books and tutorials to speed up your learning process. Here's some books on my list for maya:

- Learning Autodesk Maya: Foundation
- Learning Autdoesk Maya: Modeling and Animation
- Learning Autodesk Maya: Special Effects
- Maya Studios: Dynamics Book
- Mastering Maya

You'd probably need more, but those are just the books on my list. Also if you really want to master maya and make a movie like that you'll need to know some other softwares aswell I think. Hope this helps.
Aurora

Olorin 31-12-2009 12:50 PM

I am new myself and I say skip the books and go for video-tutorials or sign up to a course. Books just makes me furious cause there are always things that is unclear and makes me wonder around looking for "that window".

Gen 31-12-2009 04:45 PM

I think there are a lot of variables but it can most definitely be done but it will take some real time to gain the kind of experience needed. Professional instruction vs learning on your own. Dedication, patience, motivation. Life being what it is, there are going to be points when at least one of those will be in short supply not to mention "internet dwelling" can be a damn big distraction so ball parking it from 2-5 years wouldn't make a lot of sense. It will probably make you anxious and most likely burn you out.

But you have your work cut out as you'll be one man departments: writing, concept, planning and managing, modeling (and this is a blanket term here) and uv layout, texture map and matte painting/assembling, rigging, animating (another generalization), FX, scripting (if you can find what you need on the net then great, if not, ho ho ho), lighting and shading, output management, sound engineering, compositing and video editing, promo. Licensing, hardware management (the less you know about hardware the more headaches you'll have, not to mention the fact that you may even get ripped off), troubleshooting and staying motivated all the merry way yay.

Olorin 31-12-2009 06:16 PM

BTW, as for learning to do all that. I assume somebody else with connections to the industry can answer you correctly (or perhaps look in the CG-society forum), but I am pretty sure there are very few people that make movies on their own(would love a few names if anybody know any) just as there are few people who makes games of their own(but there are people).

What I am saying if that if you are going to do it all yourself I guess you must expect to do them less detailed or expect it to take a veryyy long to finish even a short film. Look at the indiegames made by one man acts and compare them to big stuideo games and you can estimate how much simpler you must make your movies.

So go for it but don't expect do do Avatar kind of stuff :)

Rhetoric Camel 31-12-2009 06:34 PM

Video tutorials from here, Digital Tutors, and Gnomon will be your best chance to get it all down and learn all the ins and outs that you can without actually going to school for it. Those tutorials and a lot of time. You might want to make sure you have a lot of hair growing out because there will be the occasions where you must pull some out in frustration only to find that it was something very simple that you forgot to do.

Time, dedication, the two things you need the most with trying to complete a project like that. Believe me I keep attempting and then scrapping that idea and trying a new one. Don't let it scare you though, you can conquer it.

lizardfolk 31-12-2009 10:59 PM

Thanks a lot for the responses guys. The intricacies of cinematic techniques do not worry me. Stuff like continuity, editing (i know adobe premier), voice acting/dubbing, and writing are within my control.

Personally, what worries me is the technical aspects of Maya as well as the time needed to learn to do what I want with Maya.

I know that me personally doing something to the equivalent of Avatar is just not going to happen. Again, personally my goal is to create and render a movie the equivalent of high-def video game cinematics.

Stuff like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-wKL...0918&index=100

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT40h...0918&index=101

and maybe even this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYSCgdfgtFk

My main worry is two things.

1. Cinematics such as those were created probably through a massive team of people. Which means it might be impossible for me alone to create animation of that quality.

2. I've found some private made animations and the best one I could find is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QDql...eature=related

No offense to the creator, but there's a lot of things I can pick about that video. According to a few chats, the guy who created that video is a "professional" animator. So...if someone who is a professional can do THAT as his best. What chance do I have to create animation the quality of Mass Effect or Final Fantasy?

Personally, I want to hope that through dedication in learning Maya as well as dedication to create movies I will be able to within a reasonable amount of time (by reasonable I'm thinking about 1-2 years of hardcore tutorials and 1 year of solid work on a couple of 20-30 minute films).

I hope that's more specific for you guys to answer my sentiment and concerns

Olorin 31-12-2009 11:40 PM

I have been teaching myself Maya from tutorial the last 2 months. I can do a simple model and a fair render of it now. Making skeletons, deformers and animation is still far away. Maybe that can give you some insight. You last example is no where near perfect, but I guess that is about as much as one person can squeeze out doing everything.

The story has to be very good to compensate for the inferior texturing and stuff I guess.

lizardfolk 31-12-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Olorin
I have been teaching myself Maya from tutorial the last 2 months. I can do a simple model and a fair render of it now. Making skeletons, deformers and animation is still far away. Maybe that can give you some insight. You last example is no where near perfect, but I guess that is about as much as one person can squeeze out doing everything.

Yeah, that kinda puts things into perspective for me. Thanks.

Regarding time and dedication, I do have a lot of both. However, I was wondering if someone who can use Maya professionally tell me whether to just go for it or forget it.

What has me hesitant right now is, if that last example is the BEST anyone can do alone, then I might as well focus on live action for my ideas.

stwert 01-01-2010 12:32 AM

If you're thinking a couple 20-30 min movies on your own... that will be very very very tough. I would say set your sights on making a nice 8-10 min short created over the span of a year or two. Something to look at that I found really cool as an example of solo (or duo) projects would be "Meet Meline" www.meetmeline.com. This is two people over years creating a single short film of very high quality.

Olorin 01-01-2010 12:41 AM

That is a very nice example Stwert. Love that blog on the Meline site, really shows how much work something like that takes.

lizardfolk 01-01-2010 02:13 AM

Thank you stwart. That actually puts things into perspective for me. A segment in the "making video" had me thinking. I saw a tablet during the modeling stages when she drew the 3d model of Meline.

Question, do you have to learn how to draw traditionally in order to model a 3d figure in Maya well? Or is that not necessarily a requirement.

Rhetoric Camel 01-01-2010 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by lizardfolk

Question, do you have to learn how to draw traditionally in order to model a 3d figure in Maya well? Or is that not necessarily a requirement.

I would say yes only if you are doing projects on your own and you have nothing to model from. It's always nice to have a reference if you can't find one online that you want to use and change up to make your own then you're stuck drawing out one before modeling. I used to know how to draw pretty decently but I can't at all anymore. I can still model things but I need to find others pictures/drawings to use as references that I have to change up quite a bit in the modeling process to make it my own so I'm not "stealing" other peoples work.

effacer 01-01-2010 05:48 PM

if u want to be able to produce such kinda of stuffs ALONE, then u'll need AT LEAST 2 years to be ready. as u already know, things like that take a lot of time. Also is that last one a WIP?? the kind of work that u'll deliver depends totally on you. take for example a short named alarmclock (by two koreans, i guess)- if u take a look at it, u'll be blown away by the quality and standard they've maintained. so wht i'd say is 'yes, u can do it' and also 'u need time'. as Maya is a production/movie based software, used in most hollywood studios, yes u can do that kind of things but u'll have to be on that level too. so my suggestion would be - take intensive 2 years in Maya. Also you'd be better off with a partner/colleague- two head is always better than one. :beer: