Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   sculpting tools (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6447)

caffeen 21-06-2003 01:25 AM

sculpting tools

I'm a new b at 3D modeling, and I'm handeling things well except for the sculpting tools, can anyone give me some pointers on how sculpting works, and what the diference is in shapes.

Jim 22-06-2003 01:24 AM

Hi,

Yeh, Maya's sculpting tools are really nice.

for organic type modeling one method that utilizes CPS poly tools (free download), CPS is a lovely 'toolset' that simulates Maya's Subd but allowing you to use all the Maya poly toolset while you work.

the method I use alot is>

Workin on half my character and using the CPS mirror function so that all the editing of the mesh via artisan (poly sculpt tool) is mirrored onto the other side. NB. Just watch the areas around the seam in the centre.

Sorry a bit long winded....

When using the sculpt polygon tool with the CPS cage I first select the CPS cage and then the sculpt polygon tool. With the Sculpt polygon tool active on the CPS cage I turn off the visability of the the CPS cage layer. Now when I sculpt it looks like I'm sculpting the actual 'hi res 'mesh. this is nice as it allows me to see the smooth 'final product' so to speak while actually using the lo res cage. Nb CPS will mirror the effects of artisan so you don't need to use any artisan mirror, just paint one side.

As for brush shapes, I would suggest just play with them. I tend to use a 'feathered' or 'solid' circular brush with low opacity and displacement. Remember that you can effectuvely undo the sculpting (apart from standard Z on keyboard) by using the erase function of the tool. YOu could paint erase on a specific area or crank up the displacement and opacity and use the 'flood' function to revert the mesh back to the original.

POlygon sculpt tool defaults to using 'Normal' as its reference for sculpting direction (effectively pushing and pulling the mesh along its normal). Try using the 'push and pull' along with X, Y, Z directions in the options.

Anyway hope this helps

re Jim

dexter10 22-06-2003 08:29 AM

Something I've always wondered about is the difference between CPS and Maya's SubD's. You mentioned that with CPS you could use "all" of Maya's Poly toolset. I thought you could also use "all" the poly tools with SubD's as well.

Perhaps you could explain what the fundemental differences are between CPS and SubD's, as well as the pros and cons.

Details would be appreciated.

Jim 23-06-2003 01:30 PM

Hi,

CPS emulates Maya's SubD. It is basically a form of smooth in Maya or 'Mesh smooth' (3ds max terminology). the cage is what you manipulate cut, delete, add and shape which then is followed through to the hi res mesh.

Maya's SubD has two modes. Standard and Proxy. Standard allows you to pull points, edges and faces directly and work in a hiarachical relationship with the different levels of points etc.. with the SubD.

Proxy mode is similar to CPS in that you are working with the lo res cage of the subD (which is a poly object) this mean that you can use all of the poly tools such as sculpt polygon tool, split polygon tool etc. But working in this manner is really slow. try it on a large, dense mesh.

When working in standard mode (of Maya SubD) it would be nice to be able to use the paint selection tool, but as far as I know it is not yet fully implimented. It only works to a certain degree and starts to select points not intended, etc...

CPS is nice because you can use all the poly tools, etc, they all work wonderfully. Also being able to use the sculpt polygon tool on one side of your character (a head for instance) and have a mirrored side created by CPS upate is really nice.

I will use Maya SubD's as a finishing tool to get extra detail using hiarachical function and for skinning and rendering. CPs is better (for me for the roughing out of a mesh).

Anyway have a play. I spend my time modelling between Maya, lighwave and Softimage. Each is easier to do certain things. The 'obj' format for poly's is a standard file import format for all of these programs.

re Jim