Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dynamics & Special Effects (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Paint Effects (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7542)

Dann 20-08-2003 02:04 AM

Paint Effects

So I'm using Paint Effects to try these gaseous cloud like things, and I like how they look (pretty much). However, they only seem to render when the camera is almost on top of them. It's not a camera clipping thing, bacause I've done tests with poly objects even further away, and they render. So... it must be a paint effects thing. Any thoughts?

Take a look at my render and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.freshlettuce.net/~tarmy/s...s/ShotRb04.mov

Thanks

Emo 20-08-2003 02:23 AM

hmmm...I dunno what to tell you but yesterday I ordered a Paint Effects Video from Alias and when I watch it, I'll tell you ;)

-Emo

ragecgi 20-08-2003 04:56 AM

Well, the first 3 things that come to my mind when I saw this were:

1. Add a light to the scene.
-looks like you have light in there already, but it might not be on the brush stroke from the beginning, so you only see it when the light passes by it maybe?

2. You might wanna try turning off Real Lights in the Illumination section of the brush Attribute Editor.

3. If the brush color is textured, check that stroke Color1 value is not black (OR KEYED!)

Dann 20-08-2003 05:19 AM

Rage,

You are truly a good man to be so helpful so often.

Unfortunately...

1. There are lights in the scene, and they are on the brush from the beginning.

2. I tried turning off REAL lights, but no change.

3. I'm not using a textured brush, so the Color1 option is greyede out and not available to me. I did try chaning the colors under regular shading to have lots of luminance, but again no change.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for the effort.

ragecgi 20-08-2003 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dann
Rage,
You are truly a good man to be so helpful so often.

THanks!

Quote:

Unfortunately...
1. There are lights in the scene, and they are on the brush from the beginning.

DAM!

Quote:

2. I tried turning off REAL lights, but no change.
DAM! DAM!

Quote:

3. I'm not using a textured brush, so the Color1 option is greyede out and not available to me. I did try chaning the colors under regular shading to have lots of luminance, but again no change.
DAM! DAM! DAM!

Quote:

Any other thoughts?
Thanks for the effort.

I'm going to have to get back to you on this one man...
Can you gimme a day or so?

Dann 20-08-2003 07:35 AM

Well, I sort of figured it out. I'm actually suprised I hadn't alreasdy tried this one, but by turning off the DEPTH channel in the Brush attribute, it fixed it. Now I can see all of my rings. They overlap each other now and don't look so good, but I can tweak it and make it better. I'm just happy they all show up.

I wonder if there's a way to set the depth distances.

ragecgi 20-08-2003 06:50 PM

Well, from the docs:
Quote:

Depth:
Turn on Depth to create a depth channel. Strokes appear on top of previously painted strokes when Depth is OFF.

In the scene, turn on Depth for more realistic natural effects (for example, for plants, fire, water). This should also prevent unusual results. By default, depth is forced on in the scene (see Force Depth).

Note :
Paint Effects may run slightly faster when Depth is turned off.

Modify Depth:
Depth must be turned on to use this option. Turn on Modify Depth to paint to the depth channel. If a stroke has a depth channel, but Modify Depth is off, the stroke appears behind strokes that are nearer in the scene.
Hope that helps a little?

Dann 20-08-2003 07:09 PM

Yeah, I sort of figured that out eventually. It's wierd though... with depth turned on, the Paint Efect on top should still render from any distance.

What I'm having to do is turn off depth for the top stroke, and then turn it on for the remainder.

ragecgi 20-08-2003 10:52 PM

Weird Maya sometimes huh? hehe...