Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Combine with nurbs? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2618)

manard 10-12-2002 11:12 PM

Combine with nurbs?

Hallo,
I have an object made of several separated nurbs surfaces. I'd like to work on the object, but can't manage to make one single object from all the surfaces. Is it possible? Say I want to trim or make some boolean operation on the whole object, how can I proceed?

thank you in advance!
m. :confused:

Darkware 11-12-2002 04:43 AM

Well, you can only use "combine" on poly's. You can always group all the nurbs together, but that won't help with boolean stuff, will it? I know you can stich things together and create seams, (I haven't worked with that a lot) but I would convert to poly's and then combine.

undseth 11-12-2002 09:09 AM

You can use the "attatch nurbs surface". But, it seems that the surfaces must be "clean" with not trim action performed on them.

Btw, you can untrim a surface from the nurbs menu!

If you pick the outermost isoparm on two nurbs surfaces, you can use the "attatch without move" to create an inbetween surface.

You have to do some trial and error on this one, as I have only recently begun to use this attatch surface tool.

undseth 11-12-2002 09:12 AM

And, as nurbs surfaces can be different in vertice count, open/closed, you may need some planning or to redo the stuff you have done for EASY attatchment of the nurbs surfaces.

I tried to attatch a nurbs cylinger with a 180 nurbs sphere as the cap, but I could not get it to work. So I copied the cylinder and used the outer hulls, by scaling them down to close the end. And finally I made the vertices of the last hull to join at the same point, by using the move tool, with vertice-snapping.

tariqrf 11-12-2002 09:14 AM

i dont think you can attach a nurbs surfaces together... well i think you can stitch it..(pls clear me if i am wrong).... and there are booleans operations in nurbs too...(i am not a nurbs expert:()

anyway, welcome to SM manard

kbrown 11-12-2002 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tariqrf
i dont think you can attach a nurbs surfaces together... well i think you can stitch it..(pls clear me if i am wrong).... and there are booleans operations in nurbs too...(i am not a nurbs expert:()

anyway, welcome to SM manard

Sure you can attach nurbs surfaces. Mike's arm stitching and the nurbs shark tutorials (can be found on the vip area) shows pretty well how to attach and stitch with nurbs.

kal 11-12-2002 01:47 PM

Use Global Stitch (edit surfaces>stitch>global stitch)
Tool has an awful lot of options for tolerance etc so clicking on the tool help will be handy, but it works good :)

mtmckinley 11-12-2002 05:52 PM

I believe we have some video tutorials going over this in VIP. :)

cmitch 12-12-2002 10:39 AM

stitching is the way it should work

... but to stitch two surfaces the way u want it, it's a little bit tricky.
just practice will help.
rebuild your surfaces that they have same u or v spans. try with a easy geometrie and

so long mitch