Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   tablet (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30735)

20-08-2008 11:53 AM

tablet

anyone know of a cheap tablet with a display? i want to get one of these thing-o's so i can draw and stuff but i have no freaking clue what anything means when im looking at the specs for them... can someone help me?!?!?!?

:beer:

Chirone 20-08-2008 05:06 PM

you mean one of those tablets that are screens, and when you draw on it everything appears directly under where your pen had been moving?

like the ones you see on 'the making of....' type documentries?

and you want a cheap one?

yeah...such things don't actually exist

i tried looking before but turned up nothing

of course i only looked at wacom... so go figure

you can get the tablet laptops but they are only slightly cheaper than the wacom that has a screen

that search gave birth to the thread that i started asking what sort of tablets people used

The Architect 20-08-2008 05:14 PM

I vaguely remember discussing with the art teachers back in high school about graphics tablets... Wacom sent this catalog over and we were all going "wow" at the tablet with a display... it cost thousands though... In the end the school got $100 dollar ones...

LauriePriest 20-08-2008 06:38 PM

Intuos 3 are absolutely brilliant, i previously had a a cheap wacom volito and the difference is massive. They cost alot but they have improved my workflow more than any one thing, i use it alot in maya as well.

20-08-2008 09:20 PM

yeah... after looking at some with displays.. screw that, i didnt see one under 900$ US

how awkward is it to use one without a display?

also, what does the whole pressure sentitivity thing mean?

EDIT: after a lil bit o lookin i'm thinkin to get a wacom bamboo...

Joopson 20-08-2008 10:27 PM

I have an Intuos 3, and it is bloody amazing! Its not awkward at all, its like drawing on paper. It does take some getting used to, but after a week its fun...
-Andy

Gen 21-08-2008 12:23 AM

The Intuos 3 is actually pretty sexy, and no its not awkward to use them, lol I still remember the feeling when I opened the box, good times.

21-08-2008 01:26 AM

the price on the smallest (4"x6") intuos3 is rediculous for my range though, i'm trying to keep under $130ish (CAN) that's why im lookin at the wacom bamboo right now, then later when i get a steady job i'll get a more pricey one...

Chirone 21-08-2008 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by acid44
also, what does the whole pressure sentitivity thing mean?
its how hard you are pushing on the tablet with the pen.

if the program you're using reacts to it then it has its use

say if you're using photoshop then a higher pressure will make the brush bigger

21-08-2008 03:28 AM

ah, i get it now, so then a higher sensitivity will give more control over said feature then right?

Gen 24-08-2008 02:31 AM

Yes, the Bamboos have 512 levels of pressure sensitivity and the Intuos have twice that also the Intuos allows you to have different settings for different programs etc etc.

I'm sure you've seen this but for those who want to compare, check this link.

Compare Tablets

24-08-2008 02:35 AM

512 levels is plenty. I have a Bamboo Fun and I love it. Can't wait to use it with ZB3.5 though…

Chirone 24-08-2008 03:12 AM

i still think the cintiq is awesome :p get one of those for me?

they are over 3 times heavier than a laptop and cost almost as much as our software, it just screams out "BUY ME"

although the contrast ratio is small 600:1, but then as was once saud, manufacturers dont seem to have a standard way to measure such things, so it might be the same as a 3000:1 (and they say such things dont matter anyway...)

25-08-2008 06:56 PM

you buy me a ferrari 360 spider and ill consider buying you a cintiq :p

the bamboo funn loos to be all i would need... so i'll probably get one of those soon... how does the navigation work though?

Chirone 25-08-2008 08:31 PM

only if you can guarentee buying me a lambo

navigation?