Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Next Months Challenge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7673)

doodle 28-08-2003 04:24 AM

Next Months Challenge

I have an idea for next month’s (September) challenge. How about modelling your favourite celebrity as a caricature/cartoon style. Maybe with a bigger head than the body, not realistic, or semi-realistic…etc

Vampus 28-08-2003 05:52 AM

I'd have to disagree. I think too many people dislike or can't do character modelling.

3dgurl 28-08-2003 06:35 AM

hence the challenge ;)

i think it may be cool to do something like this since it is by far much easier to make a caricature versus a properly proportioned REALISTIC character =P

Ultragames 28-08-2003 07:58 AM

I agree, no characters! How about a Model you computer + desk??

^^TwEeK^^ 28-08-2003 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ultragames
How about a Model you computer + desk??
that was just done in the turnament....

i actually like z1mmnd14's idea, even though i have no expirience at modeling human characetrs, i would really like to learn.

dragonfx 28-08-2003 08:32 AM

i dont care about tournaments,and just wont be participating on any... but then it would be nice if mtmck did posted an example of real world work requirements. Not a real one just one in the lines of the ones that arrive to his desk to see if we could keep pace:
A concept, requirements and deadline on the lines of a real world work.

EagleKing 28-08-2003 09:10 AM

what about modeling other members? hahahaha
that would be great.

Kevin 28-08-2003 09:18 AM

hey I might even stick up my picture and get you guys to model me :)

I know some of you would do evil things :)

EagleKing 28-08-2003 09:20 AM

man kev....modeling you. We are not cruel you know

jokez :P

mtmckinley 28-08-2003 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dragonfx
i dont care about tournaments,and just wont be participating on any... but then it would be nice if mtmck did posted an example of real world work requirements. Not a real one just one in the lines of the ones that arrive to his desk to see if we could keep pace:
A concept, requirements and deadline on the lines of a real world work.

That could be cool... the thing is, it would be a game art challenge, then. Is that cool with everyone? Also, it would be another environment challenge... Let us know and, I'll try to see what Matt thinks.

mtmckinley 28-08-2003 12:22 PM

Hmm, after thinking about it, here's an issue... At work, I am given a conceptual drawing to work from. Would you guys prefer to make your own concept, or would it be more interesting for me (or another mod) to provide a concept image and see what kind of take everyone has of it.

The main concern would, of course, be that everyone would be doing the same project, so stealing of ideas might be a problem... hmmm... and similarities would be pretty common, it being the same image. I suppose one thing we could do is find 3 or 4 different concept images and let people pick one. That way there could be some kind of variety in the challengers. Also, we could make a rule that any "he stole my texture!" remarks would be based on the date of the posts involved, with the copiers asked to stop. The concern isn't so much that people have similar work, it's the concern that someone posts their texture map, for example, and someone else decides to just take it and modify it (or even just blatantly USE it. :p ).

Comments?

^^TwEeK^^ 28-08-2003 12:26 PM

i like the idea....but i think that the concept images should be totally different....for example...one of them will be of an environment, one of a lowpoly character..etc.
so that we will be able to choose

mtmckinley 28-08-2003 12:32 PM

Well, the whole idea of this challenge is to simulate the kind of work I get at my job... and that limits it to structural stuff. If characters were to be one of the choices, the challengers would need to be able to get at least 2 done, as that's the amount of time in a month I would be able to get a character done.

Of course, I realize that I'm talking a 9am-7pm (at least) job time, here. If you guys want, we can just ignore any sort of time restrictions my job gives me and just worry about it being within the month of September.

EDIT:
Fairness comes into play, though, as someone who chooses an environmental concept provided is going to have a heck of a lot more stuff to do than a character concept would give. Afterall, an environment concept's poly limit would be closer to 50,000 triangles... a character would be 3000.

Vampus 28-08-2003 12:38 PM

Err, didn't I suggest this in your interview thread 2 days ago? MIKE YOU STOLE MY IDEA!!! :argue: :mad:

:D

^^TwEeK^^ 28-08-2003 12:38 PM

i think we should just worry about it being within the month because I (and others as well) only have 2 hours MAX a day to play with maya. Alos a lot of us have very little expirince with game art, and will have to learn as we go along, which will take time.