Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Epic 3d - 2d composition, untitled (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9190)

Pony 29-11-2003 11:42 PM

Epic 3d - 2d composition, untitled

1 Attachment(s)
Epic 3d - 2d composition, untitled
(epic, I hope by the end.)

The critter on the left is of coarse 3d, in Maya. It was the winner of the April 2003 challenge hear at SM. The study/sketch on the right, will become a digital painting done in PhotoShop. I hope to build some rapport between the 2 before the end.

Kevin 29-11-2003 11:49 PM

i love the concept dude, i really do, It kinda reminds me of that serpent and girl image that was on cgtalk a while ago!

good work

Pony 30-11-2003 12:12 AM

The 3d will be WIP hear. The 2d PhotoShop work I will show the WIP on SimplyPhotoShop.Com

I will post a composite sometimes. Hear is a link to the WIP thread on another great web site.

http://forum.simplyphotoshop.com/sho...&threadid=1529

:p :bgreen:

dannyngan 30-11-2003 05:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not bad. I think the overall composition and posing could use some tweaking. The winds need to be more dynamic. The right arm (the one closest to the camera) is kind of dead and lost in the silhouette of the body. I think the head should be turned a bit to show the other horn and to give it a bit more interest. I've attached an image with a really quick sketch of what I'm talking about.

Pony 30-11-2003 06:02 AM

Thanks for the help. The head, definietly. Looks like a good idea on the wings also..Both of them. Its suprising to me but they were the hardest part to get to go anywhare near whare I wanted them and not get real wierd looking.

GreyFox 30-11-2003 06:27 AM

This sounds interesting, and promising. Will be watching this :)

Vectorman 30-11-2003 06:49 AM

Excellent man, will you be rebuilding the textures from scratch now?

Chris_H 30-11-2003 10:48 AM

Truly great idea Pony!
I really like it :)

I know you haven't finalised the shot yet perhaps, I would be tempted to play a lot more with the composition. Don't be afraid of getting in a little closer to your subjects, it may give a better sense of scale. Even if we saw just a part of one wing, it would be enough to convey the scale of the beast. Also be aware of how your framing can really accentuate your message. Like Kevin says, it almost has an air of Stahlbergs work on the cover of Expose, and while I'm not suggesting you mimic that, it may be worth taking a look at more pieces like that and study how they portray that sense of timing and anticipation through strong composition.

Great work Pony!

Pony 01-12-2003 05:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'v bean working on cleaning up the polys, UV's, and the wireTextures from it..

Pony 04-12-2003 03:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What a mess !!! I'm on it. just thought a befor pic would be nice.. This is after getting all the UVsets down to just 1.

RickStefani 04-12-2003 09:02 AM

Sweet dragon. Reminds me of Giger meets Danzig. Did you do the sketch of the girl. It will be great. I agree with dannyngan on having the wings and arms imbrace her.

Pony 04-12-2003 09:23 AM

Thanks Rick. Giger meets Danzig ?? whats that ? I'll have a look if I can get a copy of what ever it is. Yes. I did the sketch on the girl. You will be able to find more indeapth work on her on the SimplyPhotoshop thread listed above. I don't have much there ATM but I will get back around to more work on her also.. just getting the mesh and UV's cleaned up on the devil hear is a big chunk of time.

PonysGirl 04-12-2003 04:37 PM

This whole concept just blew me away when pony told me what he had in mind.

You are sooo clever Darlin...sometimes it scares me...LOL

*KISS*

RickStefani 04-12-2003 05:07 PM

I meant H. R. Giger with the alien type body and the symble of the band Danzig for the head. Anyway I will be checking back on this one.

Pony 05-12-2003 02:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
oh H. R. Giger. I know him. He dose the concepts for like Alien and some others right ?

Anyway.. there cleaned up and put together. I delited half the model. I will just mirror latter. Ready for the color grid.

oh yeah 4486 faces for this part, the body which is a half of it. wings, horn, and jaw are seperate.