Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   3d phases of newbies (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12567)

diamondx 11-07-2004 10:29 PM

3d phases of newbies

I have been asking around, on how to make glass look real in Maya. I received a few good replies, and a few smart ass ones too. I don’t mind. It’s part of forums. Most of it’s in fun.

Anyway, it got me to thinking. Have you noticed that all new 3d users (me too) seem to make the ‘same’ images when they are learning. They go through phases. Let’s see if we can list them for fun.

-real looking glass objects.
-a robot that has arms of some type
-a space ship
-a space scene
-a deformed girl with big tits
-and fill-in-the-blank...

Kori

dragonfx 11-07-2004 11:04 PM

"designer" "translucent/glow in the dark" almost-randomly-moving "it-looks-cool-and-i-managed-to-pull-it-in-two-hours" psycodelic-arty-style thingie

(and if you blather enough about the concept you can manage to get one of the frames printed on 200x120 put it on exposition and even get good critics...)

twisteddragon33 14-07-2004 01:30 AM

Im stuck on the robot or spaceship)any vehicule) phase for like a year now.. stick with what you like right?

vladimirjp 14-07-2004 06:22 AM

lol. "translucent/glow in the dark" almost-randomly-moving "it-looks-cool-and-i-managed-to-pull-it-in-two-hours" psycodelic-arty-style thingie "
i took the [n00bie] road less traveled. i never tried any of these crap.
i kinda just set my eyes on great artists and animators and tried to mimic their work. and i hate reading tuts so much, i am the worst n00bie of all
or i should say semi-noobie

dragonfx 14-07-2004 10:04 AM

i mean... once you achieved the "ddeformed gril with big tits" youll probably get pretentious and would want to show some npr "art", black and animated glows is a good "arty" theme and fast to do... :) (i know, i did, no tuts involved btw...)

Between the crystal and the space one there were some metal logos... Oh and between the space one and the deformed gal i went trough the "aspirin box that spits aspirins" the animated cookie (with arms legs and eyes) that falls to a milk cup (no moving milk was ever seen) and the accurate recreation and animation down to the chip units of a "3 floor tanky shaped"-threaded with canvas-robot for a presentation (frist before doing it and then before showing it) of the end of career project of an industrial engineer pal that now is in holland doing more or less the same thing, but now for the ESA in one of the robots that will ship on one of the next missions to mars...(the hardest part was representing the ultrasound waves coming back after hitting something... there were ultra high res nurbs planes, loads of deformers and some ramps involved)

Then there were some logos and a children-toy-looking-plane under contract and now i dont stick with anything... i dont touch it anymore...

Advice: buy a DVD-R unit and backup your HDD after each project...(and more often if you can bear with it)

dragonfx 14-07-2004 06:21 PM

im the only noob that got artistic pretensions after acomplishing the big boobed gal stage?:)