Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Rolex rendered with Maxwell (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24031)

dilberts 29-11-2006 06:38 PM

Rolex rendered with Maxwell

1 Attachment(s)
I haven't posted for a while as I've been busy with work. I spent the last two weeks trying out Maxwell, and am impressed enough that I just purchased the full licensed copy (so I'll be getting rid of the watermark soon). Here's my first render test with the Rolex I modeled a while back. I think the level of realism that Maxwell gives you is excellent, but at a price! This image took 10 hrs to render, and it could have easily gone another 10 hrs before I was totally happy with the quality (Maxwell renders by time and sampling levels). It isn't a practical renderer for animation, unless you own a supercomputer with render afrm. Anyway, I'm going to do some more renders in the next few days, so stay posted.

pbman 29-11-2006 06:47 PM

hey good to see you back

thats a nice render but there is someting wrong with it
the brushed metal looks good though

im not sure on the lighting it looks a little too tinged for me
i think it makes the crown and twisty bit look not as good as the other parts
thats my opinion an im no expert but if it was me i would look at those parts

i dont know how u had the patients to wait 10hrs but it was worth it

looking forward to see the next few renders

leonlabyk 30-11-2006 10:19 PM

Wow that looks incredible. If I saw this anywhere else it would of taken some serious inspection to see it's cg. Amazing job and look forward to seeing more renders.

dilberts 30-11-2006 11:48 PM

I set the lighting to simulate an outside environment, with the sun shining through a cloudy day. It's a specific lighting set-up, that can be changed easily. The beauty of Maxwell is that you can render multiple lights at once, which can then be adjusted in real time once the rende is finished. It's really quite amazing. Check out the sample videos in the gallery section from their website:

www.maxwellrender.com

MattTheMan 01-12-2006 12:52 AM

another one fallen into the hands of Maxwell :p

Looks quite nice, but, well... i don't know how to put this... "standard maxwell". It's not the watermark ;), but just how the image looks, in my opinion.

Still, if Maxwell were cheaper, I'd get it. Till then, i'll just stick with the free maxwell substitute, indigo ;)

gster123 01-12-2006 08:26 AM

Looks really good, but i've got to say I think that your other renders looks a little better, might be because the lighting looks a bit "washed out" so to speak (which is what you would get on a cloudy day) so, to me, it dosent seem to show the details of the model and let it shine. I'm sure that you'll sort it with your other renders.

Cheers

dilberts 01-12-2006 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another render. I have to mess with the glass a little, but other than that I'm pretty happy.

pbman 01-12-2006 04:49 PM

bottom right one looks nice :)

however on the top left one u can see the clasp
and it has those two extrusions~(by my watch) but i think they look a little flat in that image

erictacti 01-12-2006 06:55 PM

I think the renders are incredibly lifelike. I wish Maxwell didn't take so long, or I'd love to try it. Anyways, the only thing that I think could use a tiny bit of tweaking is the glass. It seems like it could use a highlight. I think that would totally set these off, and make it extremely hard to differntiate these from a real watch.

On a side note, to MattTheMan, does Indigo take as long as Maxwell?

MattTheMan 01-12-2006 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by erictacti
On a side note, to MattTheMan, does Indigo take as long as Maxwell?
ehh... usually it does :angery: but it's free :)

erictacti 04-12-2006 08:00 AM

Cool about it being free....:attn:

Sucks about the time it takes....:p

dilberts 06-12-2006 03:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got my full licensed version of Maxwell, so here's the latest render. I was trying to get the magazine commercial look with this one. This only took 4 hrs for a 1000x1000 image, which I don't think is that slow at all.

tweetytunes 06-12-2006 03:13 AM

now thats sweeeet. 4 hours is bareable i think - for that resault anyway

leonlabyk 06-12-2006 03:54 AM

Simply stunning.

Well worth 4 hours i'd say.

DJbLAZER 06-12-2006 04:56 PM

Very nice render.

Yes, Maxwell isn't that slow for scenes where the light can bounce away into space. However when you have walls, ceiling and a roof the render times goes up veeery much... my 640x480 renders of my interiour scene demands at least 60 hours before they look OK.