Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   the new dragon (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7626)

silviapalara 25-08-2003 06:03 PM

the new dragon

1 Attachment(s)
Ok ok, here it is starting again from scratch.
I am still following the initial general shape idea, but this time, it's NURBS time. I am going a bit crazy because they are so much more unpredictable than polys (at least for me!) but I like what they can do. Here is a first idea of the head.

silviapalara 25-08-2003 06:10 PM

PS: the first one that starts again with the "you suck", "no you suck", etc is getting kicked in the nuts!:2gunfire:

Kurt 25-08-2003 06:14 PM

Great start... looking forward to updates...

EagleKing 25-08-2003 06:26 PM

it is a good start. Just a few things.

1. There is some weird line in the middle of the head. I often have the same problem so do not ask me how to remove it. Maybe you wanted to make a line there.

2. put antialiasing on for the next render. You do not have to but looks better.

3. WOW...you already textured the tongue. Looking awsome. I can not really see it...is there a bump map?

[icarus_uk] 25-08-2003 07:19 PM

Love that tounge. imo I think the sides of the "snout" are too uniformly flat. Perhaps making the sides more chubby might give him/her/it a more fleshy look?

drknow 25-08-2003 09:36 PM

Good job :)

silviapalara 25-08-2003 10:14 PM

Thanks for the comments!
The textures are just temporary, mostly because I get bored at looking at a grey mass all the time... The tongue texture is a pinkinsh phong with a leather bump map with the spottines cranked up.
For the line in the middle of the head, well spotted! Just now I am only modeling half of the head, the other half is an instanced duplicate. I still have to figure out how to put the 2 halves together without seams and lines.
I also still need to add folds and detail in the head, so I agree with the person that said it looks flat and not too fleshy. I am working on it.
I am having some problem giving it a smooth look, it seems that with NURBS, folds and creases come out almost out of nowhere.
I'll see what I can do.

Zyk0tiK 25-08-2003 10:46 PM

I think it looks very nice, no crits here... Well... none that haven't been mentioned already...

Actually, the Horns look a little too... diamond-shaped.

3dgurl 26-08-2003 12:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the toungue is great, shape of the head looks much better.

I reccomend working more on the shape of the head between the eyes and such. With nurbs inserting more isoparms where needed is key. Also this help with texture stretching problems.

here is an example of some things to work on.

adldesigner 26-08-2003 12:16 AM

Cool suggestions.
I advise Silvia to take them into account for future work on this piece.

silviapalara 26-08-2003 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I appreciate very much the sketch! Thank you!
I have worked quite a bit on the inside of the mouth. I also smoothed some parts, although there are still a few seams left. I will have to find a way to solve that.
I also took down the horns: I will have to do them in some other way.

silviapalara 26-08-2003 10:20 PM

And the inside of the mouth...
Remember that the textures are temporary!

silviapalara 26-08-2003 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sorry, i screwed up...

1001 Jedi Nights 28-08-2003 01:13 AM

looks more like a dinosaur now... I'm not real fond of the new texture. Oh well, I know, temporary.

silviapalara 28-08-2003 03:00 AM

I hear you, I don't care for the skin texture either. It just helps me to line things up and to see which is which. Once the modeling is finished, I will get to serious work with textures. Unless, of course, someone else convinces me to re-start the whole thing all over... for the 3rd time! :)
What do you think of the model so far?