Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Female Character Modelling Exercise (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38516)

ckyuk 25-10-2012 09:37 PM

Female Character Modelling Exercise

1 Attachment(s)
Was just going to post this in my other thread with the male ninja I'm modelling, but I intend to work on them both alternate days to both keep me entertained and to make sure I always have a fresh approach to them each time to help me notice whats wrong. So posting new tread not to get confused when people are posting criticisms. Not sure if it will end up as a character or just a female nude, but this is what i've got so far, started roughing out body tonight. Hope to make this model bit more anatomically correct than ninja.

Thanks, Ckyuk

Kurt 26-10-2012 01:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just watch the chest area mate, right now its modeled like a mans chest as far as topology lines.

Below is a lower poly base mesh should help ya bit as far as topology.

ckyuk 27-10-2012 08:12 AM

Cheers Kurt. I'll have a move around to try to match the sort of topology you have in that chest when I get back from work tonight. This whole issue of getting correct topology and edge loops, is it just for getting a cleaner better finished base model or is it because am I going to see big issues in deformation if I attempt to rig it up and animate without correct topology?

bullet1968 27-10-2012 09:33 AM

Good start, there are a few things I see but as you are in WIP it may be moot. Why so divided BTW mate? Looks like way to many poly's for a blockout? Bigger boobs LOL...be better, Kurt knows his stuff. The elbow topo looks twisted the wrong way...a big dimple between the quad and hamstring. The calves look flat longitudally and there appears a dimple on the front shoulder muscle II havent learnt the names in Latin yet LOL). Like I said, could be all moot in a WIP, I would reduce the polys by half though. Keep up the hard yakka mate

Cheers bullet

ckyuk 27-10-2012 02:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys. Thanks for the comments Bullet1968. I'm not too worried about the legs yet as haven't given them too much attention yet. However thanks for pointing out the shoulder on a second look your right it looks awful and I'm not sure how I ended up modelling that dimple, that's something I'll try to fix as soon as I do some more work on her. I see what you mean about the elbow, think that was just my poor interpretation of the muscles there, need to get some better reference for it. Also I've lost alot of polys as your right there was no need for so many at this stage, was only causing me problems.

As for the "chest" area. Is this more along the lines of what it should be like Kurt or have I just missed the idea still?

Thanks to everyone for help, really appreciate it, Ckyuk.

ckyuk 27-10-2012 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok so after that I didn't go fix the shoulder/arms issues and instead got a little carried away and modeled her head. However as you can see I have loads of excess edges streaming from the edge of her mouth across the face causing issues. Whats the best way to reduce this without ending up with a load of 3 or 5 sided polys?

Kurt 27-10-2012 08:28 PM

Body is looking much better. Just watch the topo on the face a bit a around the mouth and eye sockets. .. Doing great keep it up.

bullet1968 28-10-2012 05:09 AM

Looking good mate, keep at it!

cheers bullet

ckyuk 28-10-2012 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tried to tidy up the area around the mouth and added some hands and feet this morning. Ignore the tri's in the mesh its just how maya vector rendered it out (was mucking around trying new settings), it's still mostly quads at the moment sitting around 2.5k polys. At this point would you subdivide the mesh to start adding detail or is it still too early and I should be doing it other ways?

bullet1968 29-10-2012 12:19 PM

the head looks flat on the back mate. No if it were me I would whack it into Zbrush and have a go...cant hurt...well not much LOL

cheers bullet

ckyuk 29-10-2012 07:35 PM

Only issue with that is I have no clue about Zbrush :P

bullet1968 30-10-2012 12:30 AM

If you have a poweful enough PC then you can do it in Maya, just not as detailed. :)

Cheers bullet

ckyuk 30-10-2012 11:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tried to model a little more definition to muscles and added a simple shader. Although I realise there is still alot of improvement needed on the model itself, I'd like to jump ahead of myself a little here and see it with some hair on. What do you guys finds works best as I've NEVER done any sort of hair. Maya's Pfx? Textured nurbs planes? Any other method?

ckyuk 31-10-2012 08:59 PM

Is been so long since I've used maya I didn't even realise it had its own hair system :D

dustykhan 01-11-2012 10:13 AM

you could always give sculptris a try if you don't have a zbrush licence as its free, to sculpt all the details.