Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   New 3d Comic online (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18511)

Jay 03-10-2005 05:08 PM

New 3d Comic online

Hey to all

PLEASE check the link out to the UKs first official online daily comic
strip that has featured in the Sun but has now moved to the internet for bigger and greater things.
Its all done by myself and 3 other dudes who are all Maya users also. We are working to daily deadlines so it can be viewed on a an everyday basis on the web. Its had a lot of ups and downs trying to get the format right and after finally getting our hands on the scriptting side of things, its beginning to look up. Its gonna get pretty heated in the story so follow it as best you can, the previous artwork will be archived soon as well.

So bookmark it for now at this link and keep an eye out for the website that should be launched around Wednesday to Thursday

Thanks for your support

www.thesun.co.uk the banner is about halfway down entitled 'The Premier'

Cheers
Jay

Dragon013 03-10-2005 06:05 PM

cool

cool

i usaully read the sun when i buy a paper , the bird in your story is so mutch like sharon stone in basic instinct u must have a thing for her a
http://www.celebs.cz/sharon//filmy/b...ct/basic08.jpg

we going to get the flash in the next scence.

niceone

Dragon013

Jay 03-10-2005 07:22 PM

Hey Dragon

LOL

Ahh you got it!!,,We had a meeting discussing this particular part of the story, it was one of those quiet moments where the brains were ticking and I just said maker the last shot like Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct... No Background, just the girl, the chair and a shadow. One of my guys, Barney did the render and the model. We were really pleased, as it made us all laugh too.Works a treat. It can be real fun producing the images, pity we have to rush them out daily or we'd take a lot longer and make them better.

Unfortunately the legs stay as they are for now:bandit:

Best regards
Jay

swankymonkey 03-10-2005 09:15 PM

Great stuff, dude!

I like the desaturated look. Makes it look much more painterly. Rather Alex Ross-ish as well as the panel style.

You guys seem to make a great team effort. The woman in the chair shot is top shelf!

Jay 03-10-2005 09:44 PM

Cheers Dave!!

Just make sure you bookmark that one its different every day

Later
Jay

t1ck135 04-10-2005 08:17 AM

cool look to the comic :)

how far ahead are you on the story and how long does each daily take?

Jay 04-10-2005 11:42 AM

Cheers tick

each one can take up to a day to produce, theres 4 of us dudes here so we can split the shot count. If theres an odd number one person will sort out the panelling according to what Ive storyboarded already. If we do a night time comic they take little longer for light set ups. Were over a week ahead story wise, we keep it loose as theres always a better idea and as its on a news page we can incorporate it with the worlds goings ons occasionally.

Cheers again
Jay

t1ck135 05-10-2005 01:58 PM

Cool, it'll keep you on your toes then :)

That would be great for someone with a limited portfolio to keep creating scenes, props and characters with tight deadlines and also for anyone just wanting to improve their modelling/texturing.
Got a full link to the popup? .It'd be better than having to keep going to the site and banner.

Jay 05-10-2005 05:08 PM

Hey Cheers Tick

The official website was due to launch today but is unfortunately delayed until Monday at the earliest, I'll keep you posted. I know that link on the banner is a bit of ball ache right now, but not long...

Cheers
Jay

gster123 05-10-2005 05:14 PM

I've always wonderd what who and what software did those strips in the sun, was the previous comic called striker or something or is that another one in another tabloid? (they all have similar names, I menat hte other 3d comic strip)

Jay 05-10-2005 05:56 PM

Hi gster123

Yeah I previuosly worked on Striker for 4 years before The Premier, but Striker has now returned to the paper and weve gone online, after its 2 year absence as a comic . That was done in Maya too. But to be honest it looks just awful in the paper this week.

Myself and the guys I work with are all busting to make the Premier even better now we have gained control of the script as well as the artwork. Im busy trying to make new character models between hitting the daily deadlines.

Best
Jay

gster123 05-10-2005 06:03 PM

Nice!!

I always tried to read Striker and liked the graphics as it was someting toatoly different than the hand drawn stuff, like you said the print quality of the paper never did any justice to to it, i'll keep an eye out on the premier even thought im not into football at all.

Jay 05-10-2005 06:10 PM

LOL well believe it or not we all hate football in the office!!:angery: It just sucks, we love the rest of it, especially the 3d side:beer:

Later dude
Jay

gster123 07-10-2005 04:54 PM

Hey Jay

did you, or your company do the renactment (sorry bout the spelling) for the jewlery robbery in the sun today?

Looks like the same artists from striker and the premiership

Jay 07-10-2005 05:17 PM

gster123

hows it goin? No we didnt, that would be done by the graphics department. They do alot of the 'day to day' stuff for news reports if there arent any pictures.

Also Striker is done by another company called Striker3d ltd who are base in Wolverhampton or there abouts. We have absolutely nothing to do with Striker work wise.

Myself and the other guys in the Premier Team are based 'in house' at The Sun itself in London. The Premier is owned by the Sun, whereas Striker is a private thing.

Cheers
Jay