Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   hard edges (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1901)

Lespaul84 04-11-2002 01:13 AM

hard edges

1 Attachment(s)
im modellnig a les paul guitar. does anyone know why im gettin these square edges

adldesigner 04-11-2002 01:19 AM

Nurbs right?

In the Attribute Editor increase the Render Tesselation.

Hope it helps ...

Kurt 04-11-2002 01:23 AM

Nice start on the guitar Lespaul84. Cant wait to see your progress.

Couldn't of said it better Adldesigner=)

Kurt

undseth 04-11-2002 01:31 AM

Oh, I know :)

It looks like a nurbs model (or so I guess).

If this is nurbs then the rendered result has corresponded to your projects level of "accuracy", which is named TESSELATION.

Although the nurbs curves and most importantly nurbs-surfaces, are calculated mathematically and gives that smooth, round shape, the software draws the line for how accuratly the result will be (more "accuracy" "draws" more computing power".

So... there are two menues for setting the tessetation parameters.

1) The first which I usually fiddle with, is the tesselation setting in the attribute editor (Ctrl-A on the keyboard). Default tesselation is 1.5.

2) The second menu is located on the main-menu (while in the rendering mode only), under RENDERING.
("Set NURBS tesselation")

-With "method" 1 pick one nurbs-surface at a time, and hit Ctrl-A for opening the attribute editor.
-Under tesselation, set either U or V (or both, when needed) to...
well... try 3 or 4 or 5.
-A new render will clearly show the improvement.

-With "method" 2 you can set tesselation for several objects, and there is a funcion which sets "improved" tesselation for edges.

I usually use the attribute editor, but im still a newbie.

Hope this helps!

undseth 04-11-2002 01:32 AM

haha adldesigner typed faster than me. :)

adldesigner 04-11-2002 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by undseth
haha adldesigner typed faster than me. :)
Hehe, I might have gotten there faster ... but hell! yours was a much better explanation. Cheers!

Kreed_UK 04-11-2002 05:35 AM

mmm, a Gibson Les Paul:) Nice start mate, i cant wait to see the final result!

adldesigner 04-11-2002 06:44 AM

Quote:

Oh, I know :)

It looks like a nurbs model (or so I guess).

If this is nurbs then the rendered result has corresponded to your projects level of "accuracy", which is named TESSELATION.

Although the nurbs curves and most importantly nurbs-surfaces, are calculated mathematically and gives that smooth, round shape, the software draws the line for how accuratly the result will be (more "accuracy" "draws" more computing power".

Actually, Tesselation refers itself to the process of converting Nurbs to Polygons. (be quads or triangles)

In this case for example you could ask yourself: "Why the hell do I need to change to polygons for?! I want my beautifull NURBS surface rendered!"

Well, Maya´s renderer actually tesselates (thus converts your NURBS Surface to polygons -triangles by default-) at the moment of rendering, and if this tesselation is not a high setting you´ll get edges (since less polygons mean more edges). Now just going with the flow then, a high render tesselation will allow Maya to cram in more polygons into the curve so it get´s a beautifull curvy Nurbs shape.

Just so you don´t get confused with undseth´s accuracy blabbering. LMAO!:p

(by the way: The methods he gave you are perfectly valid, I´m just enhancing the lesson.)

undseth 04-11-2002 12:24 PM

Ha, ha... I'm a newbie and *amn proud of it :)

ragecgi 04-11-2002 03:20 PM

GREAT answers guys!

adldesigner 04-11-2002 06:49 PM

Quote:

Ha, ha... I'm a newbie and *amn proud of it :)
Hehe, Welcome to the club mate! me too!